Going From 20 to 40: A Graphics Card Upgrade Tale

Good article and analysis! So going from RTX 2070 to 4070Ti should be a huge leap in performance @1440p. Right? Should I be worried about my Ryzen 5600 not keeping up with the 4070Ti?

Interesting to see the gen on gen improvements in performance for these specific use cases. It's a good perspective for an article and a welcome addition to the regular benchmarking topics.

All that said, I don't think there's going to be any paradigm-shifting change in the market prices for GPUs any time soon (if at all) and I don't really care what it's called. Nvidia could have named it the RTX Slartibartfast for all I care -- it was the feature set and performance uplift that mattered, and both of those were comfortably within the price bracket I was willing to accept.

So, you're totally OK to pay, say, 1099$ for 6050Ti if it does the same 4080 does?

I went from a 980Ti to a 3080. I used the 980Ti for 6 years and it cost $650. I'm hoping to see a similar timeframe use out of the 3080....sadly, though, it cost an extra $200 and it wasn't even a top end GPU like the 980Ti was. Had the 3080 for 1.5 years already, here's hoping another 4.5 she'll last me!

Honestly, I don't want to pay this much for a GPU again, this may very well be my last GPU if prices stay this stupidly high.

Good thoughts.

I myself went from a 1080 to 4080, but having also upgraded from 2k to 4k monitor the experience is utterly transformative.

On DLSS3 frame generation - I can sense that additional lag. It does work though. There will games where it suits and games where it doesn't.

If you already have a gpu and you are not a professional renderer or an e sports pro or just rich than there is no reason to overpay a product that in 1 year is going to be old ,next nvidia gpu will be ready in less than 2 years this time . AI is on the play ..

"The only downside is that the 7900 XT is around £60 to £70 more expensive than the Nvidia card"

Unless you can't afford another 60-70£ without defaulting on rent or car payment or food... seems like mininal money for another 15% performance improvement vs 4070ti.

Despite being over two years old, something like a GeForce RTX 3080 10GB is still very capable and can be found new in the UK for around £700.

£700 in USD is about $850. In the US, if you can find a 3080, they are usually going closer to $950 to over $1000. I've seen a couple of no-name brands closer to what you posted, but it's hard to know the quality of the product and the support. You can find 4070s in the mid-low $800s. I would definitely go with the 4070 for the warranty and support as well as the reduced power draw. Give it a month and 4070s will be sub-$800.

1080Ti to 4070Ti
Well I did get a PNY XLR8 4070Ti non OC for 799.99 at Micro Center in Houston Texas , but a month later ,ZOTAC AMP EXTREME AIRO 4070 Ti was on sale at Micro Center , $120 off from $1000 , so I exchanged my PNY for the ZOTAC .
THE ZOTAC AMP EXTREME AIRO 4070 Ti is amazing , PNY was great at default , but the AMP EXTREME AIRO is a level up ,big time !

Last edited:
So, you're totally OK to pay, say, 1099$ for 6050Ti if it does the same 4080 does?
No, because that's more than I'd be comfortable paying for a graphics card these days. Not that would I ever replace a 4070 Ti with a card that only has a performance uplift of around 25%.

Unless you can't afford another 60-70£ without defaulting on rent or car payment or food... seems like mininal money for another 15% performance improvement vs 4070ti.
Steve's testing shows an 8% performance improvement and my own was reasonably in line with that, so for gaming alone, it's not really worth it. Besides, as I pointed out, if the Radeon had better support for, and with, the software I use frequently, then it would have been up for consideration.

Great article and a very clear presentation of how to make an informed decision before purchasing a new videocard. That's why this kind of article are very useful, because they help readers learning how to make an informed decision when purchasing hardware components, and this is what most buyers should do. Thank you for it and keep posting.

A lad I know upgraded from a zotac twin edge 3060 12GB to a 4070ti, he actually managed to bag one for £799 on launch day. He's over the moon with it and upgraded his 1080p monitor for a 3440x1440 144Hz monitor and says it maxes all the games out he plays at a locked 144fps with only Cod Warzone occasionally dipping to around 100fps.

A lad I know upgraded from a zotac twin edge 3060 12GB to a 4070ti, he actually managed to bag one for £799 on launch day. He's over the moon with it and upgraded his 1080p monitor for a 3440x1440 144Hz monitor and says it maxes all the games out he plays at a locked 144fps with only Cod Warzone occasionally dipping to around 100fps.
The 4070ti isn't a bad product, it's just priced stupid.

People need to realise, it's not progress if you get 50% more performance for 50% more cost. That's the very definition of stagnation. Yeah so a 6050 Ti at any price north of $399 is simply !diotic no matter what the performance in 3 years. Nvidia is one of the only companies on earth that thinks technological progress is measured in $$ to their bottom line, not in providing better performance for the same money.

4070 Ti is $200US over the odds and 4080 is $400 over the odds. AMD is also gouging on the 7900XT by around $200 as it is really the 6800XT replacement. Incoming 7800XT will be 6700XT replacement at 6800XT pricing and so on.

Stuff the inane censoring BTW mods.

I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade from an ultrawide QHD monitor. Not jumping on the 4K bandwagon has prevented me from 'needing' to pay-up for an overpriced GPU or suffer sub-par frame-rates.

I really wish this test had included the 3080 for a much more rounded look at the differences in the last three gens...

I know the point is "Going From 20 to 40" but why not give a picture of all three, since it affects so many of us?

Last edited:
I really wish this test had included the 3080 for a much more rounded look at the differences in the last three gens...

I know the point is "Going From 20 to 40" but why not give a picture of all three, since it affects so many of us?
Isn't the problem about pricing ?

Well it certainly shows that unless you're going 'all in' and getting a 4090, upgrading from any 30xx class card is a total waste of money.

Only those with a 20xx class card, or older, should be even contemplating paying these new greed driven prices that Nvidia have shoved down everyone's throats.

Only those with a 20xx class card, or older, should be even contemplating paying these new greed driven prices that Nvidia have shoved down everyone's throats.

I'm a Pascal and/or Touring user looking to upgrade and will not pay this "new price". I didn't pay Ampere prices and not going to go on Ada either. Waiting for video card prices bubble to pop.
Worst case scenario for me is not buy anymore or buy an used Ampere.

Yes, it would have been useful but this was my money, not a review loan situation. If I actually had a 3080, I definitely wouldn't be upgrading it to a 4070 Ti.

Well it certainly shows that unless you're going 'all in' and getting a 4090, upgrading from any 30xx class card is a total waste of money.

That's not new though. Upgrading from the previous immediate generation has always been an objective waste of cash, unless were going back 20 years to the DX6 era. .
People need to realise, it's not progress if you get 50% more performance for 50% more cost. That's the very definition of stagnation. Yeah so a 6050 Ti at any price north of $399 is simply !diotic no matter what the performance in 3 years. Nvidia is one of the only companies on earth that thinks technological progress is measured in $$ to their bottom line, not in providing better performance for the same money.

4070 Ti is $200US over the odds and 4080 is $400 over the odds. AMD is also gouging on the 7900XT by around $200 as it is really the 6800XT replacement. Incoming 7800XT will be 6700XT replacement at 6800XT pricing and so on.

Stuff the inane censoring BTW mods.
People also need to realize that inflation is a thing. Nvidia's gross margin today is 7% higher (57%) then it was in 2011. Chips cost a lot more, components cost a lot more. Only during peak gouge did nvidia hit 65% margin.

Yeah, the 4070ti is overpriced and should have been a $650 GPU. At the same time, the days of $200 mid range GPUs are long over. The silicon cost of producing the 4070ti are estimated to be 120% higher then a 3060, despite the similar size. GDDR6X VRAM is significantly more expensive then DDR6, which is more expensive then GDDR5.

Samsung's 8nm node was roughly $9000 per wafer. TSMC 4nm is estimated to be between $16000-$20000.

Back