Going to be running Win 7 and would like some advice on security software

By nickc
Nov 14, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am going to be running the 64 bit and 8 gig of mem. my question is do I need any particular spyware. I am using Avast Anti Virus, and Sunbelt Personal Firewall,Are these good enough for today. If there are any more advice I need I would appreciate it.

Thanks Nick
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Well if you are going free then also have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free version does not auto protect, but you can do updated quick scans weekly, lasting 5 to 10mins)

By the way, have you considered running Windows firewall instead of Sunbelt?
    One way to confirm that you don't need a 3rd party firewall is to check the logs and see if your 3rd party firewall has ever blocked any attacks. If not then why have it?
  3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,623

I actually know that my firewall has stopped attacks, is the Windows firewall that good? and thanks on the download.
  4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

I will second Kimslands addition of Malwarebytes, its a tremendous product. i favor Avira, but Avast gets high ratings as well, you should be set. :)
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

YES

MS has made made improvements to Windows firewall, it is all you need
    Unless you are going to searching totally malware infested sites (of which I advise against ;))
  6. scuzzo

scuzzo Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

The trifecta of protection:
    Avira antivirus
    Malwarebytes Antimalware
    Super Antispyware
  7. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 246

i know this is bit old but wanted to inject something. microsoft security essentials is pretty darn good, it caught some things that my other AV stuff did not and it also has active protection, did i mention that its free?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.