Good-bye PCI, hello PCI Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
One of the most comprehensive refreshes of Intel architecture will start rolling out this summer. The PCI Express bus will replace current I/O interfaces, such as PCI for device interconnects and AGP8X for graphics, on all servers, workstations, desktops, notebooks, and communications devices.

Read more: Infoworld.

To me the exciting part is parallel cards- as an (almost thank god) 3dfx stock holder, I think its long overdue.

I can't wait... we're talking 4GB Throughput! (200/250 MBps each way (theoretical)

Think not only what this will do for games and video editing (which desperately needs this bi-directional throughput), but also Network Cards! no more bottlenecks.

Then we'll get 2x PCIE, then 4x PCIE, then 8x PCIE, then we'll be back where we are right now with AGP.

You know, it's about time for a change from the aging AGP / PCI combo.

I am also very glad to see memory buses so fast these days. About a decade had to pass before 66MHz FSB was finally increased. It was eventually doubled over a few years. And now we are seeing incremental increases from 266.. 333. 400.. 533 in just a matter of several months at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back