1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Good-bye PCI, hello PCI Express

By Julio Franco ยท 5 replies
May 21, 2004
  1. One of the most comprehensive refreshes of Intel architecture will start rolling out this summer. The PCI Express bus will replace current I/O interfaces, such as PCI for device interconnects and AGP8X for graphics, on all servers, workstations, desktops, notebooks, and communications devices.

Read more: Infoworld.

2. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 482

To me the exciting part is parallel cards- as an (almost thank god) 3dfx stock holder, I think its long overdue.

3. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Sounds like its coming in full force once it hits!! :)

4. EvilKernel

EvilKernel Banned Posts: 34

I can't wait... we're talking 4GB Throughput! (200/250 MBps each way (theoretical)

Think not only what this will do for games and video editing (which desperately needs this bi-directional throughput), but also Network Cards! no more bottlenecks.

5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Then we'll get 2x PCIE, then 4x PCIE, then 8x PCIE, then we'll be back where we are right now with AGP.

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

You know, it's about time for a change from the aging AGP / PCI combo.

I am also very glad to see memory buses so fast these days. About a decade had to pass before 66MHz FSB was finally increased. It was eventually doubled over a few years. And now we are seeing incremental increases from 266.. 333. 400.. 533 in just a matter of several months at a time.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.