Good deal (?) on Asus G74SX

By Burd
Dec 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there,

I am looking for a good deal on a powerful laptop (max $1,100) and think I have found one:

Asus G74SX
    $1,098
    Processor: Intel® Core i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.9GHz, 6MB, 45W
    Memory: 16gb ddr3 1333mhz (4x 4gb)
    Hard Drive: 500gb 7200rpm
    Video Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 2GB vram GDDR5 DX11
    Display: 17.3" 1600x900 LED HD Display glossy

It is 'used, like new' but the seller looks like he can be trusted, however I have a few questions I hope you can help out with:

i) I can't work out the exact model, in the UK the Asus G74SX usually comes with a postfix for the model (e.g. G74SX-91013Z), this one doesn't, can anyone work out exactly what it is? Does it matter?

ii) I was unsure as to whether to go for a desktop or 'gamer' laptop, ultimately I think I will need the mobility. Do people think this is up to the job? I know it is specifically advertised as a gaming rig, but will it be able to play games such as Skyrim/Fallout3 on High/Ultra settings? Also, what are the chances of it still being good enough for new games in 1/2/3 years?

iii) To me, the stats on this look pretty awesome (16GB RAM!) but I am not that savvy, does anyone see any problems, even minor issues, with this laptop? Or do you think I can get a better deal somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Burd

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.