Good download manager or alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hi guys.

I'm looking for a good download manager that would integrate seamlessly with Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 64 Bit.

When I was on XP I never required a download manager as I used Firefox and loved it. However, I haven't somehow felt too comfortable using it on Windows 7. Neither am I big fan of Chrome.

Hope you guys could suggest some alternatives. Else I'll have to look back at FireFox it seems.

Thanks.

Why aren't you comfortable using Firefox on Windows 64-bit (btw is that Vista or Windows 7) ? It might not (yet) be a 64-bit binary application but that doesn't stop from working very well in a 64-bit environment.

When I used Firefox back in January it crashed on me quite a few times and seemed a little sluggish.

Also it somehow doesn't really gel with the Aero interface of Windows 7 (though that's probably not important).

What are your opinions and experiences with Opera? How does it stack up in terms of security to Chrome and Firefox.

Chrome's sandboxing is pretty cool I think. And there's always No Script for FF. So where does that leave Opera?

I used to use Opera in the past, though I don't today. I'm rather lazy though, as I have hundreds of bookmarks, and stored passwords with xmarks, and as far as I'm aware, you can't use password sync with any browser other than FF.

I've been using FF on 64bit OS's for a good couple of years now - I've never encountered any problems, and to be honest I don't think its ever even crashed.Though my one main arguement is it does take a few secs to open up when first opened. After that its very quick.

In response to your first post, you could have a look here; a couple are recommended: http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/72971-download-manager-for-ie8/

back to the original question of a Download Manager.

WHY? Personally, after many years of this stuff, I still don't use a download mgr
and never saw the need for one - - just let your browser-whichever- do its thing

Download managers do offer some advantages:

1. The ability to resume downloads, particularly useful for downloading massive files
2. To schedule a download. This is particulrly helpfull for downloading at off-peak hours or at time when the internet usage is free.

Free Download Manager is one option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back