Good free graphics program with vectoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemri

Hi, I work at a school and a teacher wanted to use Fireworks to create advertisements, drawings, print layouts, and active links for web pages. He needs to teach this to his middle school students.

He found out today the district will not fund Fireworks because useing Fireworks to teach his students will rob the high school of introducing the industry standard. They won't let him have professional tools! Grrrarrggh.. anyway, that is another rant.

He came to me and asked for another graphics program that can do the same thing, but for free. I suggested The Gimp, but he said he needs a program that does vectors well.

Does anyone know any free open source programs like The Gimp but more robust with vectoring?

Adobe Fireworks does not work with vector graphics (at least not to my knowledge).

If you want a vector drawing application try Inkscape or Sodipodi.

Fireworks can do vector as well, the problem is cost and licensing model. I'd also be curious to know if the product will be around for much longer - I find it hard to believe we'll see more than 1 additional revision.

Also - for basic vector support in gimp look here: http://docs.gimp.org/en/ch01s02s07.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back