Good sync option between Windows and Linux

TorturedChaos

This is something I have struggled with for a long time, so now I'm seaking outside help.
I'm trying to sync my music collection between my main game Pc (Windows XP), my media server (Win 7), my "shop" laptop (Xubuntu) and my "take with me" laptop (Ubuntu), oh and my g/f Win7 laptop
I'm probabaly going to stop keeping music on my gaming machine and just stream from my media server, but my two laptop don't have that option all the time, mostly the Ubuntu laptop that I take with me everywhere.
I would like anytime I add or remove a song from my Ubuntu laptop for it to happen on all other machines. Same for the other computers.
I used Drop Box for syncing smaller files but I have about 20gigs for music....
To much for any free cloud syncing programs I have found.

I tried Unison and it installs wonderfully on Ubuntu, but doesnt want to work worth crap for my on Win7.

Any sugguetions? I would like to keep them fairly simple and automated. Come home, boot up laptop, new music syncs.

After doing more digging around I haven't really found anything free that meets my needs. Thinking of just doing the paid Ubuntu One 20gig setup for $2.99 a month and give it a try.

Unless anyone else has a better suggestion. They are cheaper than Dropbox's $10 for 50gigs.

check out Allway Sync

It depends upon file sharing for the access and the mapped drive must be available
before starting the Sync, but it Will ensure files on C:\dirName\* get copied to \\Linux\dirname and traverse all subDirs. It also ONLY copys new or update files.
You can also set the option that if C:\dirname\thisfile has been deleted, the the \\Linux version will be too.

UbuntuOne is also worth considering. I have used it in the past as well, and it also has a Windows app as well.

Its well worth considering if your typical Linux usage is 'buntu based distros.

Back