Google accused of being "woke" after Gemini creates inaccurate, racially diverse historical...

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Generative AIs are often accused of being biased, but it appears that Google went a bit too far in trying to address this problem with Gemini. The company has apologized after the tool produced images showing people of color and women in historically inaccurate contexts, such as Nazi-era German soldiers and the Founding Fathers. It's led to complaints about Gemini being "woke," and Google has now paused the feature while it makes changes.

Social media users have been posting the images created by Gemini on sites such as X. Some of the more striking ones include a prompt to generate the Founding Fathers showing a woman of color and a man of color wearing a turban.

Another memorable example was someone asking Gemini to generate an image of a 1943 German soldier. The results were not your typical Nazis.

"We're aware that Gemini is offering inaccuracies in some historical image generation depictions," Google said in a statement, posted this afternoon on X. "We're working to improve these kinds of depictions immediately. Gemini's AI image generation does generate a wide range of people. And that's generally a good thing because people around the world use it. But it's missing the mark here."

Google said it will be pausing the feature until changes are made.

Users have also highlighted the strange way that Gemini keeps inserting the word "diverse" into its generated content even though it isn't specified in the prompt.

Also read: Forget hallucinations, ChatGPT has developed full blown dementia

Debarghya Das, a computer scientist who used to work at Google, said on X that "it's embarrassingly hard to get Google Gemini to acknowledge that white people exist." Das' prompts to generate pictures of Swedish and American women overwhelmingly or exclusively showed women of color.

It was earlier this month when Google confirmed weeks of rumors that its Bard AI was being renamed. The company unveiled the Gemini AI large language model, a direct competitor to OpenAI's GPT LLMs, in December, and had decided to change Bard's name to fall into the same Gemini branding. The company also revealed its most advanced AI model to date, Gemini Advanced.

It seems that Google has gone too far in ensuring its AI avoids any allegations of racial bias, leading to people calling it laughably woke, which in turn has led to serveral conspiracy theories. It's all a far cry from 2015 when the company had to apologize after its photos app labeled a photo of a black couple as "gorillas."

Permalink to story.

This was absolutely HILARIOUS to watch unfold in real time. I've seen the racier stuff people got Gemini to make, and let me tell you, it got WAY worse. The more you try to kneecap AI to fit a political ideology, the worse it will break. Even better, simply bootstrapping "diversity" to searches to please DEI quotas is a kindergarten level idea. Only google could come up with something this.....basic(?) obvious way to try to force their ideas.

I don’t understand why all these companies are hell bent on changing history to match modern political ideologies.

If you want to show how we’ve progressed, surely it’s in your interest to represent history accurately, we were once far more racist and women weren’t generally on the front lines of war etc…

This whole modifying history to suite today’s political agenda is very concerning.

This is why AI is not that smart. AI brain is limited by the people that created it. This is why we should not trust AI as well. AI is created by the creators' ideology.
Have you seen the Truman show? This is for a target demographic audience of the ideal citizen. From quarter wits to nano wits. Where the nieve tin foil hat supporters get thier wits from only nano technology.

I don’t understand why all these companies are hell bent on changing history to match modern political ideologies.
Because the Leftist mob has torches and pitchforks, and isn't afraid to use them.

it’s in your interest to represent history accurately ... women weren’t generally on the front lines of war etc…
There's a reason for this which many people have forgotten. History records examples of horrific conflicts in which 75% or more of the adult male population of one or both combatants was wiped out entirely. But within a generation, the population had rebounded fully. Why? For the same reason that men on a sinking ship are told, "women and children first."

This whole modifying history to suite today’s political agenda is very concerning.

This is nothing new. The victors write the textbooks after all (“History is written by the victors”, expanded to include other intellectual fields besides history which are currently being contested in today’s rhetoric). My stance is just to vehemently oppose those who are trying to control the narrative.

I can tolerate a little bit of woke. I'm right but not far right. I think far right ideas are just as dumb as far left ideas. However, this is entirely too much. They aren't even trying to hide it anymore and I think that's a good thing. It was fine when the sheep didn't notice, but when the sheep start to notice something is wrong then you know the problem has gotten out of hand.

If you want to show how we’ve progressed, surely it’s in your interest to represent history accurately, we were once far more racist and women weren’t generally on the front lines of war etc…

The idea of "including" people who were never a part of it is so crazy that it is seems like illness.
I used to watch Doctor who, and what these people did to it should be a crime. They literally reap out everything there was diversing and including with the style of a totally talentless hack.
I doubt they just want to rewrite history, they are obsessed about making sure it is forgotten and then remembered rewritten. The way they treat it is sick. And as I said it before, it all goes down to mental problems many of these people have in a very bad state. They suffer from things they are not aware about thinking that they are making world a bit better. They are the ones who need to get better.

A perfect example why the false portrayal of history, false implication of words and actions not original to the portrayed speaker should be made a Federal offense with maximum minimum penalties in every case. No leniency for 1st time offenders and very harsh, across the board actions for those attempting to re-write history.

A perfect example why the false portrayal of history, false implication of words and actions not original to the portrayed speaker should be made a Federal offense with maximum minimum penalties in every case. No leniency for 1st time offenders and very harsh, across the board actions for those attempting to re-write history.
The ultimate penalty is given to the ultimate revisionism. Extremely fitting:

For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Man, Portal was really ahead of its time. The lore is literally scientists creating an "AI" that ended up being too unhinged for them and would make the company look worse than it already was, so they decided to add these little things the game call personality cores to it, that made it numb and *****ic.

This is exactly what's going on.

It is impossible for me to be racist since there are so many good black actors & I know hard working black people in real life but they really ruined Blood Elves in World of Warcraft, same as if they made Jaina Proudmore asian, it just don't fit.

If you use "woke" in the pejorative, you are a simpleton.
Some negative connotations are reasonably construde. The biggest flaw and short coming of that frame is generally that it is highly critical in a way that is condescending and judgemental. With that being valid to citique because it's polarity tends towards objectively seeking to destroy and eradicate rather than teach, heal and unify. If woke means your belief in your ideas, assessments and conclusions is more valid than the people with whom you disagree and to the extent that the preservation of your ideas is more valuable than their lives if a 'fight' breaks out, then you are every bit the brute and savage you caste them as. In simpler terms, it is projection. Don't hate the player, hate the game or in this case, don't hate the human, hate human nature when it's at it's worst. Which is arguably, more often than not.

Back