TechSpot

Google adds "+1" button to search results

By Matthew
Mar 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google is adding a new feature to its search engine that lets you upvote search results. The feature has been named +1 (plus one), which, as you probably know, is commonly used on forums and similar discussion mediums to indicate that a person agrees with a previous post.

Read the whole story

2. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

inb4 4chan upvotes themselves.

3. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

Oh Google, what have you wrought?!

4. ramonsterns

I also suspect the RIAA website to be buried under a mound of downvotes.

5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,443   +124

I'm pretty sure it will have a system to prevent such things, besides the "people you care" means it will work integrating your google account, so you "follow" or something like that (Like Buzz).

Great great idea =)

6. ramonsterns

Such things as what, freedom of speech? I seriously don't think 4chan would need to do anything shady to get several thousand or a million votes.

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I don't get why 4chan would "up" itself.

When you search for 4chan in Google, the top result is...4chan. So is the 2nd and 3rd.

And it only relates to YOU, and your contacts. Who cares if millions of people upvote 4chan, unless those people are your Gmail contacts, you won't see the results, if I'm reading the article correctly.

8. Cool, now give us a -1 button.

9. ramonsterns

I didn't say I cared if they did, I just see it as something they would do.

Hell, for all I know they could up vote everything else unrelated to them until the link to 4chan fell to the 20th page or something.

10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Which still won't matter if none of those people are in your contact list.

11. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 639   +127

Such a fantastic idea, soon to be undone by an army of sock puppets

12. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,443   +124

Probably he needs to read a bit more... and yes THERE IS a system to prevent that. Contacts yay.

13. Google not only wants to track everything you do but everything that your friends and family do as well. Google - "DO NOt get caught being EVIL", too late...

14. The prove that +1 Google Button is Stolen as well Copied concept. http://tiny.cc/d6taz

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.