Google: Android 4.0 on 11% of devices, Gingerbread still on top

Jos

Staff

Google has updated its Android Developer site with data about the percentage of active devices running a given version of its mobile operating system. The good news is that Ice Cream Sandwich is finally picking up some speed, with its share of active Android devices jumping 3.8% over the last month. The bad news is that more than eight months since its release that’s still just 10.9% of all Android devices.

The gain comes as device manufacturers continue to roll out their ICS updates and flagship Android 4.0 devices including HTC’s One X and Samsung’s Galaxy S III launch worldwide.

Android 2.3 “Gingerbread” remains the single most-popular Android version at 63.6%, followed by Android 2.2 “Froyo” with 17.3%. Their installed base is slowly decreasing, dropping 1-2 percentage points over the month, but even today low-end devices are still being shipped and used with Gingerbread.

The data is based on the number of Android devices that have accessed Google Play within a 14-day period ending July 2nd and is provided to developers so they can decide how to prioritize the development of their applications’ features for the devices currently in the hands of users.

With carriers and OEMs taking this long to get Ice Cream Sandwich on a tenth of Android devices in the market, things are not looking too promising for the newly announced Jelly Bean. Google hopes to improve roll out times with the release of a Platform Developer Kit (PDK) for Android device partners, but only said the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and Motorola Xoom will be getting the update in July. Beyond that, manufacturers including Acer, Asus, and HTC remain tight-lipped about their Android 4.1 update plans.

google android

Permalink to story.

It hasn't been all smooth sailing for ICS on my RAZR. So far none of the new features have impacted me, meaning I don't use any of them. Touchscreen response has gone from great to OK since moving to ICS. I have had it about a week now and have had to power cycle the phone twice already. Before that I can't even recall the last time I had to power cycle the phone. Same issue on my wifes RAZR. Her camera just quit working. A power cycle fixed it.... Hopefully they come out with an update soon...

An important thing to remember is that not all Android phones can be upgraded to ICS. And many people are perfectly happy with their phone's current software.

What really matters is how many smart phones capable of running ICS have been upgraded to ICS?

My HTC Incredible still has not received the OTA update for Gingerbread....still on Froyo

Meanwhile my iPhone is updated to the latest release the DAY it comes out! I don't understand why people want Android

They really have to fix this. Pronto.

"They" meaning Google did fix it and provide updated packages as soon as they are done.

However the carriers all lock down their phones and customize the OS with bunch of bloatware and its THEIR fault that nothing gets upgraded! The carriers in the disable the OTA google updates and force the phones to only upgrade with their own custom packages.

I'm a UK Wifi-only Motorola Xoom owner and bought it late last year as I was told that as an Android reference device it would get the ICS update soon (and it was on sale!).

Despite the fact that there should be almost no difference between the US Wifi version (which has been around about 6 months now) and the UK it still isn't available here.

I think the problem with Android seems to be as much about the pitiful upgrade support provided by companies such as Mototrola as difficulties implementing upgraded firmware on different platforms. Motorola issue vague promises like "Q2 2012" and then go quiet again, but its July now (which im pretty sure is Q3!) and still no sign. I'd never buy another device from them which is a shame as its a nicely made piece of kit.

Apparently the XOOM is about to get upgraded to Jelly Bean in the US - I expect I'll have died before the UK version sees that.

because Android is on multiple carrier devices..I'm sure if there was only one Android phone everyone would get the update as soon as it came out. Gives them a choice in the matter.

I understand it because I'm on my third Android. People do it either because: 1) They don't know what they are doing and get pushed that way in the store by sales staff looking for higher commissions; 2) They know better but drink the kool-aid again about how this is "fixed" now; or 3) They are Apple haters and w/o the Windows 8 phone on the market simply had no other option. I have fallen into group 2 twice now and it will never happen again. My next phone will be the iPhone 5 no question about it.

Oh and I should have said in my rant about my Xoom.... Motorola are owned by Google so Google are at least as useless as the carriers at updating their own platforms.

Sure wish I could get my Optimus V updated past Froyo without having to root and install a new ROM on it. Thanks a lot Virgin Mobile...

I see your point, but it effectively means that Apple is largely competing against Gingerbread.

Apple doesn't seem to be catching up with Android's latest releases, but at this rate it doesn't really have to.

iPhone and iPad are available on 3 carriers in US, dozens more around the world.

Ice Cream Sandwich just getting up to speed on cheaper tablets but now they're pushed it on the Nexus 7 which again limited features with the Quad Core on top to push it. Since Jell Bean supports Dual and Quad cores more. App will have to play catch-up. Everyone is still on GB because apps and games work on it better than the games. Froyo still around on Smartphone. There are members still on Donut and Elcair is really after than Gingerbread and Froyo but better than Donut. WiFi is still and issue on these tablets. I got that working where it pins the needle and throughput is higher on G and N. Google should spend more time solving issues than worrying bout beating Microsoft and Apple in tablet sales.

it's because some manufacturers are still selling those old devices with android 2.3 and below . They are too focused on earning giving less space customer support and upgrades.
Want a better phone? go with Google nexus products :) always gets updated.

They really have to fix this. Pronto.

"They" meaning Google did fix it and provide updated packages as soon as they are done.

However the carriers all lock down their phones and customize the OS with bunch of bloatware and its THEIR fault that nothing gets upgraded! The carriers in the disable the OTA google updates and force the phones to only upgrade with their own custom packages.

Ah, no.

I mean they as in Google.

Do not delude yourself, Google is as much to blame as both carriers and OEMs, if not more. In fact, it is widely known there are ways for Google to speed up the update times, it's just more costly to sustain.

4.1 on my Galaxy Nexus and 4.0.4 on my Galaxy Captivate.. Why wait for OTA updates? Jjust do it yourself..

Yeah I flashed my galaxy nexus with 4.1 like 2 days after it was announced, flashed a new kernel. it runs like heaven. An iPhone cant compete with this... its so smooth and so flexible, feels like a new phone coming from ICS

Don't blame this on Android itself, if every mobile company (HTC, Motorola, Samsung and etc) adopted pure Android, instead of having their own customize Android version added (I.e HTC's sense and many others), there won't be so much delays in updating the mobile OS. This issue solely points to mobile companies.

Please explain how it's Google's fault? Compare to Nexus getting pure updates from Google, while One X and S3 would have to wait because it's lock down?

Back