TechSpot

Google announces Chromebook, Chromebox devices

By Matthew
May 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google has announced the culmination of its CR-48 pilot program: two Chrome OS-powered notebooks manufactured by Acer and Samsung. The machines were unveiled today during the second half of its…

Read the whole story

2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

They really look nice and I think there's a good market for this type of cloud devices although I think they are a little to expensive for being online-only. A price range between $100-$300 USD would be a lot more attractive specially since, I assume, people would prefer a $300-$500 USD regular Windows netbook/laptop over this machines.

It would also be safe to assume that Chromebooks will get to a $100-$300 price range within a year. I could really see myself buying one of this machines.

3. Zecias

Zecias TS Booster Posts: 202

i feel like chrome os is pretty good for netbooks(and maybe smartphones), but not much else.

4. I'll take the Samsung!

5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

The price. The price. The price.

The only problem I see here...

6. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

Yes my friend..... yes...

7. That's an amazing news. The price is good. I will definitely go for the Samsung.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

How big of a system drive? Or is it non-existent?

9. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 958   +49

Considering pretty much everything is run and stored via "the Cloud" apart from the OS itself, these devices probably have very small SSD drives, or are just using a standard 120GB/250GB platter drive because they are cheap.

About normal for these kinds of PCs actually, but the fact these do not have any bundled third party software (90% being bloatware of course) or a retail OS (ie one that costs money), there's nothing to help offset the hardware costs.

Though, nowadays, that price offset is not nearly as much as it used to be.

10. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 982   +31

For those people who want this, what do you find desirable about it?

11. SneekyGeaky

SneekyGeaky TS Rookie

An internet browser is one thing, but a net-centric OS is different... Personally, I won't trust my "data" to these upcoming Chrome powered devices until that OS gets a deep analysis of it's code for the inner workings and whatnot. Paranoid? well, it's Google's fault...

12. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

with the price of mobile internet, i'm not sure how this will work when outside of Wifi (home/office) range.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.