Google announces third quarter earnings, Google+ user count

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google announced today that they earned nearly $10 billion in revenue in the third quarter of this year, resulting in a 33 percent year on year increase for the search giant. CEO Larry Page also said that Google+ has surpassed the 40 million user mark.

Google reported revenues of $9.72 billion for the quarter ending September 30, 2011. This figure doesn’t represent traffic acquisition costs which totaled $2.21 billion. GAAP operating income was calculated at $3.06 billion, or 31 percent of overall revenue. In comparison, the company spent $2.55 billion in the same quarter last year.

More specifically, Google-owned websites represented 69 percent of total revenue, or $6.74 billion. Partner sites generated ad revenue through AdSense programs of $2.60 billion, or 27 percent of revenue. Interesting enough, 55 percent of total revenue came from outside of the United States.

A few weeks ago, Ancestory.com co-founder and self-proclaimed Google+ unofficial statistician Paul Allen (no relation to the Microsoft co-founder by the same name) estimated that Google+ was slowly approaching 50 million users. At the time, his calculations determined the site had 43.3 million users. Depending on when Google gathered the 40 million user figure, Allen’s estimates could be spot-on.

It’s still too early to tell if Google+ will be a serious competitor to Facebook, the most popular social networking site in the world. At Facebook’s f8 conference last month, the company announced they had over 800 million users worldwide. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg used the conference to introduce a wealth of new features to the social site including Timeline and Open Graphs.

Permalink to story.

Google + probably won't be a big competitor if they keep their age limit so hgh.

It is so hard to write +10 years... lol.

Anyway, Google+ for mature, Facebook for ******.

Google earn money by publicity, right?, if that is so I don't get why, in eight years I have only once hit one of their advertsiment links.

Guest said:
Google earn money by publicity, right?, if that is so I don't get why, in eight years I have only once hit one of their advertsiment links.

your fault i'm 100% sure.
from 1000 unique visitor i usually got 2% to click on an ad. after changing locations and format i got around 4-6% (i got around 1000 per month and made 100$ every 3 months). it's all in the content of the website and how the website works, looks, how it shows the ads and what kind of visitor you attract.

^ I think I never care for the adds, but it looks like something betwen 2 and 6 of every 100 care. I guess there is people for everything.

I have a google+ account but dont use it. Basically I just joined to see what it was about.
I like it but i dont have enough of my facebook friends on there. Hmm, on second thought, maybe thats a good thing..?

i will not be using any social networking site after 25 oct
battlefield 3 is coming................................

Back