Google begins building out 1Gbps Internet to two U.S. cities

By Rick
Feb 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As promised, Google is beginning to build out Google Fiber in two cities: Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri. When completed, the new city-wide networks will tether citizens to…

Read the whole story
  2. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Build out?
  3. Raswan

Raswan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 279

Having trouble recognizing English? "Build out" is a perfectly acceptable, grammatically correct phrase.
  4. "Build out" is American for "Build", because it's not good enough to describe the activity they also need to know where it takes place.
  5. How will their pricing be competitive when no one else offers that kind of speed in the U.S.?
  6. But Verizon is talking about 1 Terabit. >.>
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sen6Zvmm-SA
  7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

Google has enough money to put these cables everywhere, lol...
  8. altecmayank

altecmayank Newcomer, in training

Why is Google getting into the internet provider business?
  9. Because its business and it will be cheaper than cable or other rip-off companies. Customers will knock on their door in droves... you'll see... :)
  10. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Google often does things to harbor good will, so that's probably part of it.

Also, by throwing unreasonable amounts of money and engineers at mass-scale fiber deployment, Google may be able to improve such future roll outs. Those improvements may encourage other companies to finally deploy their own last-mile fiber networks.

As people begin using faster Internet connections, theoretically, they can get more stuff done (ie. visit more websites and/or use websites they couldn't before). Theoretically, Google profits from this because that means they get to show you more ads. I'm not so sure about the pay off, but it's something to tell investors.

11. I'm so excited! I hope they build it out throughout the US!!

12. tw0rld

tw0rld TechSpot Maniac Posts: 609   +6

The money you must have to do this is incredible. I don't see how their price can be competitive.
  13. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Just an unusual use of it, never seen it before in my life. In the UK we usually use the term "roll out", which I guess could be just as strange if you had never seen it used before. Having no trouble recognising English, thanks for your concern.

Thanks Guest.
  14. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 818   +19

Make it for the masses. Just like thief self driving car. Where is it?
  15. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

They aren't actually going to be an ISP. As Rick pointed out, they said the following:

16. gamerex

gamerex TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 176

One.. one GIGABIT per second? That translates to a download rate of 128 megabyte per second! (Assuming the servers on the other end support it, of course)..(And even hard drives aren't that fast)..(Unless I did my math wrong somewhere)
  17. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Oh thats part of the fiber optics cable servers to accomodate the fast fiber connections.
  18. herpaderp

herpaderp TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 159

125MB/s would be the theoretical max, but due to overhead (network + system), realistically, it'd be quite a bit less than that.

19. Build out.
  20. And here I was happy with my 15Mbit VDSL2+ ....hum
  21. Why not start in the silicon valley where their home is? What the heck is in Kansas and Missouri? Do they even have computers? I live in the silicon valley and we're always getting the short end of the stick!
  22. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

I wonder what the bandwidth cap and throttling will be like.
  23. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Will move for Gbps
  24. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Right! Or... could it describe a process? Like, at a guess, first you build a central facility capable of handling the traffic and then, working outward, you hook up areas of the city, the region, the continent, the world? Nah. That'd make too much sense and has no implied witless criticism of American technical usage.
  25. Brock Kane

Brock Kane Newcomer, in training

This will hopefully put some pressure on the biggest rip off broadband company - Comcrap!

I hope Google brings Comcast to their knees!
    Comcast wants $200 a month for 100meg speed in Michigan! What an "effing" joke!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.