Google brings the Dead Sea Scrolls online

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has partnered with Israel’s national museum to bring the Dead Sea Scrolls online as part of a project known as The Digital Dead Sea Scrolls. The $3.5 million project will eventually make almost all of the scrolls available to anyone with Internet access, but only five are online as of today.

The five scrolls that have been digitized include the Great Isaiah scroll, the Community Rule scroll, the commentary on Habbakuk, the Temple scroll and the War scroll. The scrolls were photographed using cutting-edge technology to produce the clearest renderings to date, resulting in 1,200MP images. The scrolls are fully searchable and include English translations.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are believed by many to be the most significant archeological discovery of the 20th century. The scrolls are believed to have been written or collected between 150 BC and 70 AD by a Jewish sect that fled Jerusalem 2,000 years ago and settled in Qumran. The more than 900 manuscripts are comprised of around 30,000 individual pieces that provide the basis of the Christian bible. The scrolls were discovered between 1947 and 1956 in Qumran caves on the shores of the Dead Sea.

The Israel Museum owns the majority of known scrolls, although some private collectors and other organizations retain the rights to smaller fragments of work. The Associated Press says that the project is set to be complete by 2016, at which time nearly all of the scrolls will be available for online viewing.

Permalink to story.

I've always found it interesting that even though these scrolls were written in the vicinity and during the time of his life, the name "Jesus" never appears in them.

TomSEA said:
I've always found it interesting that even though these scrolls were written in the vicinity and during the time of his life, the name "Jesus" never appears in them.

Personally I haven't checked but if what you say is true, that is indeed interesting, might have to read some now! :p

it will never contain "jesus" as "jesus" was never a messiah for the jews who crucified him for blasphemy.

the dead sea scrolls contain biblical passages of the "old testament".

"jesus" is the message of the "new testament".

Brilliant! Will have to check this out.

@Guest. Thanks for clarification about Jesus in relation to the scrolls (old testament), and well said.

You're 1/3 right, Guest. About 1/3 of the scrolls contain blurbs from the Old Testament (albeit told by a different teller). The rest is writings pertaining to their sect and various musings on Hebrewism.

But one would think if there was a guy walking around in the immediate area and at the time these scrolls were were written, who claimed himself to be the son of God, walked on water, turned water into wine, resurrected after he died, etc., etc., etc., he'd at least get a cursory mention in the scrolls SOMEWHERE.

TomSEA said:
But one would think if there was a guy walking around in the immediate area and at the time these scrolls were were written, who claimed himself to be the son of God, walked on water, turned water into wine, resurrected after he died, etc., etc., etc., he'd at least get a cursory mention in the scrolls SOMEWHERE.

Some things to consider are that there were tons of religions around at the time, with tons of different gods being worshiped, with priests of each religion no doubt claiming to have performed many different magical things like changing water into wine or walking on water. In Exodus the pharaoh's magician was able to duplicate a lot of Moses' tricks (or miracles I guess).

A new religious leader popping up claiming to do miraculous deeds might have been just par for the course with lots of new cults popping up. Take the faith healers we see on TV. Some people probably feel they are real, but the general public is a bit more skeptical, to say the least. We probably don't expect to read about too many of them in mainstream Jewish or Catholic writings as those religions probably don't put too much credence in their deeds.

For all we know there may have been many Messiahs popping up around Israel around this time. When you're under foreign occupation, it's natural that some part of the population would want to rebel, such as the Zealots. If someone wanted to lead an uprising, what better way to rally support, than to be the prophesied Messiah come to save his people. As the Christian church consolidated itself over the next few centuries any such records might have been expunged in order to make the story of Jesus life have more impact. If he was but one of a dozen of "Messiahs", it might have led to confusion.

The history of early Christianity is really fascinating, and while not as full of conspiracies as Dan Brown would lead us to believe, nonetheless, there was a lot of retroactive PR work and editing done in order to make the faith adopt an orthodox doctrine.

Jesus was called the prince of poppers, I guess you could say he wasn't main stream lol.

@Paninx I agree with you completely on the basis that my name is Joshua and I think thats cool :).

By the way back in the day they would use science to fool people into thinking magic stuff was happening. For instance in some temples they had a automatic door shutter setup through pulleys in the walls. They would say things like if this is true oh gods er w/ they worshiped give me a sign. The big doors would seemingly slam shut on there own. I saw it on the history channel so it must be true.

Anyways a lot of people might have thought Jesus was just another magic man. However being the prince of poppers and the new testament indicates he did not amass wealth like other religious leaders.

I had a chance to see these in person in the Milwaukee Public Museum, however i was the only one in my group of friends interested in seeing them. A shame, really. Now i can see them online though! thanks google.

TomSEA said:

True, but their are numerous versus in the OT with reference to Jesus coming and other names that belong to Jesus.

Isaiah 9:6 "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

The name of the Lord of the universe is not named by the name in Jesus because the name Jesus is never in the Old Testament. It is correct that the name Jesus is a Greek pronunciation of the Hebrew name Joshua. One of the reasons why the Scrolls would not contain the name of the only Lord is that 1) the Scrolls are only copies of the Old Testament, the Jews would be interested in the actual Old Testament and not a story of current events, if you notice the Scrolls don't name any one else important at the time. 2) The majority of the Jews hated their Messiah, the One who came to save them. They wouldn't want the name Jesus in their manuscripts, just like people today hate their Creator and don't want to include His name anywhere
But the name of Jesus is in these scrolls. Jesus was not His only name. He was also known as Immanuel and the name Immanuel is in the book of Isaiah where it prophesied His birth hundreds of years before. It is in Isaiah 7:14. Also there are many instances where the Son of God appears in the Old Testament.
And the name Yahushua is in the Old Testament, a matter of fact their is a whole book by the name of Yahushua.

Back