TechSpot

Google buys VoIP startup Gizmo5?

By Jos
Nov 10, 2009
  1. Earlier this week, Google announced it had agreed to purchase mobile display advertising firm AdMob, for an undisclosed amount rumored to be in the $750 million range. Well, apparently the shopping spree didn't stop there as the search giant is now putting down another $30 million for VoIP provider Gizmo5, which employs the SIP protocol to allow users to place calls over the internet.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,368   +405

How would it be to just whip out the old checkbook and write one for 750 million and then another for 30 million just a few days later? ;)

3. Flannelwarrior

Flannelwarrior TS Rookie Posts: 149

Heh, when you're as vast and all encompassing as Google, it'd probably feel like a Thursday.

4. jazboy

jazboy TS Rookie Posts: 112

I guess google voice was just lacking in pc to pc call and they want to include this facility now. as per my thinking that is the reason of plan to buy Gizmo5. if Google buy this then definitely they skype and google is going for compete each other to become no 1 or remain no.1 in voip industry.

5. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,094   +110

"... recently leaked documents suggest the company may take the service global shortly. "
    The first time i read that line i i though that you said google will take over the world. Silly me.

Or did i read it correctly? Muhahahaha!!!

6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

It's all your imagination, Puiu... We, err, I mean Google, has not taken over the world...

Now here, take this blue pill and go back to your normal life...

7. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TS Enthusiast Posts: 140

Don't you just love Google ;) hehe . Seriously , they always make something awesome and its open source ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.