Google catches Bing copying search results

By Matthew
Feb 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Update: Bing has replied to these accusations outright denying Google's claims. We'll let you be the judge.

Read the whole story
  2. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

Cheating if you ask me. The reason I use Google to search is because their results are relevant and get me where I need to go, with a few -filters and quotations here and there, granted, but better than any other engine I've tried to date.

Pretty convincing evidence as well...
  3. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

If this is the case whats the point of going to Bing if its going to give you the same results as Google
  4. vipor231

vipor231 TS Rookie Posts: 27

LOL its microsoft why doesn't this suprise me,they copied windows from apple and apple copied from xerox,not sure where xerox copied from though LOL
  5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

I read Microsoft's blog post, and they pretty much (though indirectly) admitted they did "copy" Google.
  6. if you can't beat'em, copy'em!
  7. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 490   +16

So i still have no reason to use bing? okay
  8. kamz999

kamz999 TS Rookie Posts: 22

SUCK IT!!! GOOGLE!!!
  9. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

I here stand to sue an one who eats rice krispies whit marmalade >:\

But i mean, is it really bad to let Microsoft screw around to Skyne..... Google?, i still give a capuchino about bing and who the hell uses bars on their explorer?
  10. Emin3nce

Emin3nce TS Rookie Posts: 129

Suck my google?
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

This is mostly spelled correctly, but incoherent nonetheless.
    Is this real Aussie slang, or did you just make that up?
  12. Emin3nce

Nothing to do with Aussie slang 'mate'... It was an ill-fated reply to kamz999. Though it was rudely intercepted by that charming chunk of charitable conversation by the lovely Cota.

Are you the internet police? >:3
  13. Emin3nce

Actually, i probably should have quoted you, so that you can read your quote's within a quote. Yo dawg, how's internet policing going?
  14. Microsoft are such douche bags. Remember when they sued some guy for having a website named I guess being similar isn't ok but blatant copying is! F U Microsoft! I'm putting a chip in my Xbox360, that will calm me down.
  15. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 548   +8

lol guest. Such hate for Microsoft yet 95% of us use a microsoft product everyday (even if u didn't pay for it, Pirates)
  16. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +461

At one time Microsoft was skyn... now is google... stop it it used to be fun but for a long couple of years IT HAS NOT BEEN.

Rant over... Microsoft, you have earned a couple million cracked windows to bug on.
  17. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 416   +43

it's the final proof that Microsoft is a consolidated company !More yoopies, no engineers and lots and lots of lawyers.(sadly, Sony corp is heading the same more good ideas...)
  18. I don't know about this but Google will be the next Microsoft. With its finger in every pie. Mark my words, mortals.
  19. styks1987

styks1987 TS Rookie

I am glad there is competition between these companies. I certainly do not want only one source for my searching ability. If you think about it, Google holds significant power on how it tailors search results. I might go as far to say, if they have tailored these results, how many other results are we unaware of.I am definitely not a fan of some of Microsoft's accomplishments but they have developed some GREAT pieces of software. They also have come up with a platform that most of the things we take for granted run on (like Crysis 2).
  20. Macgyver56

Macgyver56 TS Member Posts: 21

I believe Google. They created a very nice test case to determine whether Bing is 'sucking' results off Google. Based on the setup and the outcome, Bing does not seem to be truly searching the internet. They're searching other search engines. Might as well cut out the middleman and just use Google.
  21. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Posts: 217

it's a search engine, they're free. i don't care.
  22. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Looks pretty bad for Bing here....But hey, who cares?
  23. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I find something surprisingly insightful about this.
  24. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

So all the benefits of Google's accuracy without the increasing scaryness and omnipotence of Google? Ok!
  25. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

Many, if not most retail operations, price shop the competition, then bring their prices into line with those competitors.

I suppose that Bing, "shopping" their competition is understandable.

Whether they should be able to use the results could be the subject perhaps, of a college level semester in Ethics.

With that being said, let me apply, "Juvenile Delinquent Torrent Logic", to the issue.

Since Google still has the original "copy" of the search results, therefore "nothing has been stolen"! So therefore, Bing should be able to "download" all of Google's search results they choose to.

So now, why don't cha all go back to torrenting copyrighted programs, games, movies, and music, free of charge, and leave Google and Bing alone to fight it out amongst themselves.