TechSpot

Google creates neural network, teaches itself to recognize cats

By Rick
Jun 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google engineers claim they've designed a computer network capable of analyzing, categorizing and ultimately teaching itself to recognize the content of images. The "neural network" was fed 10 million images from YouTube video thumbnails and -- without being told how……

Read more

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

Prepare for skynet jokes...

3. yorro

yorro TS Booster Posts: 251

Oh god, it is really happening

4. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Maniac Posts: 253   +108

So how long until this thing recognizes a threat to its own existence?

5. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

As long as this thing has a plug or a switch off I'm all for it, if not we are doomed. Wasn't expecting Google to be the one to do it but its not far now, but its unlikely they are the only ones who have this technology. Throw an actual super computer behind this software and Bam! just like that humans will be extinct. And I don't think this is "jokes" its a serious concern dealing with artificial intelligence.

6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,536   +2,335

What everyone here fails to realize, and what I will point out, is that this is a very dangerous advance in computer processing technology. Sure, it's cool right now. Who wouldn't want a machine capable of hunting down images with the accuracy and precision of a human being? But today it's just a picture of a cute little kitty. Tomorrow it's your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle!

You may laugh now, but it wont be funny in ten years when you're trying to explain to your wife that the reason you couldn't make it to dinner last night was because you were too busy being robbed by a tin man in a skin suit.

7. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

The brain is such an amazing thing. Whether you believe God created it or it evolved (or both) it is almost laughable how much effort and resources it takes us to crudely mimic one aspect of it. Having said that I do not think we have to worry about artificial intelligence problems any time soon. If you're worried about being robbed by a tin man just carry a taser or a bucket of water perhaps.

8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Or wait for the BSOD. =)

9. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

I think you underestimate the exponential growth of technology. There are technologies being researched that offer seemingly endless amount of technological growth. Either God (...yeah right) designed our brains so excuse us for our inherent disadvantage, or evolution created our brains and did so in the span of how many millions of years? Well excuse us, we've barely even had a chance to scratch the surface of studying such technology. First electrical computer wasn't even a hundred years ago. First personal computer wasn't even 40 years ago. Pretty stupid to say we don't have to worry about it any time soon. Especially if at any point a computer starts innovating for themselves. Think of AI as a snow ball, once it gets rolling down a hill. Not a chance in hell you can stop it. AI with access to the internet can replicate itself and hack access into any system out there. If it finds a way to supplement its hardware without human control over the process, expansion is limitless.

10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

And you underestimate the complexity of the human mind. Talk to some scientists that have studied neural networks, not just read Kurzweil, its not that simple, not just a matter of a networking enough Nvidia cards together until they come up with an AI.

11. Typical sensation press to attract viewers and increase advertising revenue.

12. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 457   +54

Come with me if you want to live.

13. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

Cool that means we are one step closer to making a robot that will kill Justin Bieber on sight :D

14. jeffz6

jeffz6 TS Rookie Posts: 79

What? are you worried there will be somthing else other than humans that kill humans?

15. miska_man

miska_man TS Member Posts: 49

Currently loading up the band wagon! Grab yo kids, grab yo wife, grab yo shotgun! Ain't no computer stand a 12 gauge shell to the head...I mean...RAM slot? I dunno, we kill it somehow!

16. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Booster Posts: 224   +7

I hope they release the source code, so we can look back on our neural network influenced future CPUs and download legacy software from years ago to identify cats for the hey.

17. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 211   +9

+1

I find this a hell of a lot more exciting than worrying.

18. Matrix?

19. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

If only! Lol!!

20. dcnc123

dcnc123 TS Enthusiast Posts: 54

This is exciting..... technology is sure fast.... :) :)

21. carlwh123

carlwh123 TS Rookie

Am I too late to make a Sky-net joke?

22. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

I'm listening Carlwh123....... :D

23. with another nanotechnology and quantum computing breakthrough, skynet jokes is possible, after skynet jokes where war raging between human and machine, then there comes matrix jokes where human slaved by machine *LoL :D