Google Docs editing comes to Android and iOS

Emil

Staff

Native Google Docs support has finally arrived for Android and iOS (the mobile version of Google Docs has been available for over three years). Edits show up in near real-time (so they aren't completely seamless) and Android even lets you insert text using voice recognition.

The biggest improvement is the new layout, which makes mobile document editing much easier and allows for collaboration from other Docs users. Currently, Google Docs supports devices with Android 2.2 (codename Froyo) and up, as well as Apple devices with iOS version 3.0 or newer. Unfortunately, Google doesn't specify if third-party browsers will work with the new Google Docs or whether it plans on adding new platforms such as Windows Phone and webOS.

The new functionality will be rolling out over the next few days to English-language users. To use it, just head over to docs.google.com with a compatible device. From there, create a new document or edit an existing one by just pressing the Edit button.

Permalink to story.

Frankly I've found no good reason to waste my time on google docs, it wouldn't fulfill my requirements, period. So in a nutshell I don't care for this addition. However, for people who write a letter once in a blue moon or do similar very light work on other office tools, that may be a good a news at last.

Back