Google Docs receiving cloud data storage feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Google today announced that it would roll out a new storage feature for Google Docs. The service will enable users to "upload, store and organize any type of file in Google Docs," allowing users to access their data from any Web-connected computer. The idea is far from new of course, but a useful implementation nonetheless given the popularity of Google Docs and the search giant's other services.

Users will have the ability to upload any file up to 250MB, with a total of 1GB of free storage for files that aren't of the Google Docs format. Beyond that, Google will offer additional space for $0.25 per GB per year. Shared folders can be used for the organization and collaboration of files, while a search function and the Google Docs viewer should help with finding recently uploaded or shared files.

Google will gradually introduce the service to accounts over the next couple of weeks, and the company welcomes all feedback.

Permalink to story.

Sounds handy, with the larger files being able to be uploaded. But for smaller stuff (20MB or under I think) I will stick with using my gmail account, which has a crap load of storage, and just email it to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back