TechSpot

Google Drive outage reminds us that cloud services aren't perfect

By Rick
Mar 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Reports this morning of Google Drive becoming inaccessible sent ripples through social media. Shortly after complaints surfaced, Google confirmed Drive was experiencing a noteworthy disruption. The company subsequently resolved the issue and all Google services appear to have returned to normal. 

Read more

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 925   +247

Reminds/implies cloud services aren't perfect? This comment implies cloud computing has a come a long way. It hasn't. It still has a long ways to go.

avoidz and ArthurZ like this.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,187   +748

A long ways to go how? in terms of availability? I don't know how long Google Drive has been around, but if they've been around for a year and have only been down for these 2 hours, that's still a 99.97% up time. I think that's pretty good.

Isn't google drive free anyway?

SantistaUSA likes this.
  4. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Even if Google Drive is free, ppl will be butthurt little babies about it. Much like their cell phones, it must be made by god and be completly infailable despite everything that is done with it. Watch, I bet we will see posts and such about how someones kid died because they couldnt get their report from Google Drive or some such drivvel. Its amazing that we continue to exist with the attitude of entitlment that is present in our society.

5. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

No system is perfect.. cloud I think is still not feasible globally..
    problems: Data Storage Server & Internet connection speed...

6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Uhm, yup. Thanks for that.

Honestly, didnt even notice the outage.... have everything backed up on a drive.

that's what is key, back up your OWN crap. Backup your backup.

7. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +108

That's funny. Not long before this headline hit the web, Drive works pretty well. Fantastic way to start the week!

8. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 212   +29

Well, the only benefit from cloud services I see is that I can shift all the blame and responsibility when I lose my data.

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,420   +821

Cloud storage is an excellent idea although I seldom make use of it. I'd rather store my own data thanks.

avoidz likes this.
  10. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Too right! Store everything locally, and "the cloud" will work fine! ;)

11. They forgot to mention Microsoft was down for 16 hours.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.