Google drops Gmail Outlook sync support, Microsoft "surprised"

Rick

Staff

After some Winter cleaning, Google announced the immediate discontinuation of Google Sync and Google Calendar Sync. These applications were designed to synchronize Gmail accounts with Outlook, various devices and other software via Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) protocol.

Popular alternatives to Exchange ActiveSync, like IMAP and POP, give users access to email but do not provide the same rich synchronicity that EAS affords. The technology also allows users and devices to syncs contacts, notes and calendars under a single protocol.

In addition to removing its EAS connector utilities, Google will be restricting EAS access exclusively to paid Google Apps accounts -- if you want to connect via the Exchange protocol, you'll need to pay up for a premium account. This means Google Apps business, education and government customers will be unaffected by this change -- an area where exchange support remains vital. The changes only apply to personal Gmail accounts and free Google Apps accounts. 

Incidentally, this news follows Google's evisceration of the freebie version of Google Apps, also announced earlier this month. 

The search giant says it's dropping EAS in favor of open protocols, namely CardDAV (contacts sync) and CalDAV (calendar sync). Since these protocols are independent of popular e-mail protocols (IMAP, POP), Google suggests Gmailers interested in keeping their contact and calendars synchronized will need to turn to third-party solutions which support those technologies.

While it is no surprise Outlook users will be affected, any Gmail users who employ EAS to sync their smartphones, tablets or rely on third-party services or software which utilize EAS will also feel the effects.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Microsoft has taken this opportunity to push its Outlook web-based email service (formerly known as Hotmail) which, of course, supports Exchange ActiveSync. Microsoft claims it was "very surprised" by Google's maneuver and took its blog swinging, touting the supposed advantages of EAS over IMAP and POP. "Really want to do some winter cleaning? Switch to Outlook.com for the best email experience across all your devices" the post says.

Permalink to story.

Not sure this was the smartest move on Google's part... Going to leave many users in the lurch, which will tend to tick them off and open the door wide for Microsoft to push their solutions. You can bed this will be some serious marketing fodder for Microsoft for the next little while.

Google just hates Microsoft, they're doing this as an attack on windows phone. Gmail will be broken on that now.

I never expected Google to behave this way. I love Gmail because it was the best email service out there. But, I never knew Google would throw their customers under the bus to pursue their arrogant desires.

Just so I'm sure, this is Gmail not supporting Outlook right? I'm ok with that, I don't use Gmail to consolidate Outlook mail into one web interface.

I was afraid that it was Android phones also not supporting Outlook/Activesync - which would be a huge mistake.

Just so I'm sure, this is Gmail not supporting Outlook right?
That's incorrect -- Google is dropping support for Exchange ActiveSync entirely, sans paid business, education and government Google Apps accounts.

I understand why that wasn't clear though, so I have updated the wording. Hopefully, that point comes across more clearly for others, now.

I was already looking at a Windows 8 phone, this is just another reason to get me there quicker. Thanks for the info.

Google +, forcing chrome with flash updates, screwing up Picasa web pictures and now this. I'm really thinking google is on a downward spiral. They want to be top at everything and not get along with anyone. If it wasn't for gmail and google search I wouldn't be doing any business with google anymore. Sad. I use to really like there company but seems they want to destroy it.

Couldn't care less, as I am not 'dependent' on Google for any service. Although the motive behind it seems 'sinister' in nature, whereby, forcing users to choose one service over another, whether they like it or not.

Wow now that is a backwards step!!!! Been with Gmail for as long as I can remember and using there activesync/exchange sync to get my email pushed to me on my iPhone/Mac/Windows devices.

Gutted!

First you could get 50 free user accounts on Google Apps. Then it was 10. Now it's 1 and no Google Sync. I think Google is making a mistake and will push new users to look elsewhere.

This is great news..

Now, there is no reason to use Google, Gmail, or Android. Win8 ftw..

This might be just the push I need to switch to Outlook.com I can continue to use my gmail through Outlook.com. Only issue is Outlook.com has no integration with G+ that I can see.

Google has also made real SSL certificates a requirement by requiring "strict SSL" on 12/12
This was done without as much as any advance notice AFAIK. Not a very good thing considering the planning time required to purchase and implement valid SSL certificates on large websites...
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=21291&ctx=gmail

Wow, I didn't know this. My company, up until recently, used a self signed cert. I changed this last month for a few reasons, none of which were Gmail. Fetching Gmail is not a valid reason IMO. This isn't really feasible for a lot of small businesses. SSL certs aren't exactly cheap. I'm not understanding Google's motivation for these changes.

This is a Google vs. Microsoft thing. Quotation from another article:
"However, there is more to this than meets the eye and extends beyond this single issue to the wider battle between Microsoft and Google.

Because iOS supports IMAP, CalDav, and CardDav, it means users who use Gmail on iPad and iPhone will be able to sync their data with little difficulty.

However, Microsoft's Windows Phone doesn?t support them meaning those that those who use Gmail on Windows Phone won?t be able to sync. How Outlook.com users will deal with that is not clear yet."

Reason for Apple's CalDav+CardDav implementation is Apple is reliant on Google for search (and Map services in the past), hence, they may not have much choice (my calculated guess). However, Microsoft offers these services as well, and doesn't need Google for them. So its all about competing with each other, not collaborating. On a side note, outlook is whole lot easier to work with compared to gmail anyway, so I don't see anyone who already have an outlook mail account bothered with this.

Google has also made real SSL certificates a requirement by requiring "strict SSL" on 12/12
This was done without as much as any advance notice AFAIK. Not a very good thing considering the planning time required to purchase and implement valid SSL certificates on large websites...
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=21291&ctx=gmail
Without advance notice I don't agree with but it is about time someone actually took security seriously. It would be nice for modern DNS protocols, ipv6 and TLS 1.2 to hit mainstream.

These HOLY wars 'twix the big name players is childish. Along this same line is Apple recanting on Google Maps running on the iPhone 5 (technical issue uncovered due to infighting). Sullied the image of both companies IMO.

For anyone that has migrated from one email service to another, things like Syncing Contacts was a chore. The worst case I've seen was moving off Verizon - - there is no way to capture or download the contacts at all.

The lesson to be learned is to EXPORT your email contacts periodically; formats like VCF and CSV are most common and there are tools for converting one to the other.

Remember: If it's not on YOUR PC, then you don't own it :(

Ok first google apps, now this - best time to move to outlook.com.
I think I will be migrating my personal mail just because I don't like the way this is going.

Since Google has ended Sync, I can't even open Outlook. It's on my personal computer. Now what? Are my only options Gmail or Outlook.com?

Agree that this sucks.

But moving forward, I depend on syncing between Oulook contacts and calendar, and gmail that runs on my Android phone. Very, very important to have this. What to do now?

Non-technologist here, so mea culpa. Advice welcomed.

Thanks!

Agree that this sucks.

But moving forward, I depend on syncing between Oulook contacts and calendar, and gmail that runs on my Android phone. Very, very important to have this. What to do now?

Non-technologist here, so mea culpa. Advice welcomed.

Thanks!

I am the same too!

Anyone has a solution please share it with us. How to sync Outlook and Google contacts and Calendar.

Thanks

Back