Google Earth Pro, once $399 per year, is now completely free

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google earth pro free google software google earth

Google Earth is one of the easiest and best ways to explore the world around you without having to step foot outside. The standard version of Google Earth has been around for the better part of the past decade and is likely enough for most but when offered the Pro version free of charge, why not go for it?

That’s exactly what Google has done with its popular virtual globe / mapping software.

Up to this point, Google Earth Pro has largely been reserved for businesses as its $399 per year price has likely kept all but serious mapping enthusiasts at bay.

google earth pro free google software google earth

The Pro version offers a number of additional features not found in the standard version. For example, it's capable of printing images at a resolution of up to 4,800 x 3,200 where as the standard version maxes out at 1,000 x 1,000.

Other features include the ability to record HD movies of your virtual flights around the world, measure 3D buildings and import thousands of addresses at once to pin on a map.

While I’d agree that most users probably don’t need the majority of these features, having them at your disposal just in case isn’t a bad idea – especially when it’s a free upgrade.

To get Google Earth Pro, you’ll first need to sign up for a key. Once that’s done, head over to Google’s download page to snag the program. Existing Pro users won’t have to do anything and they’ll no longer be charged the yearly fee.

Permalink to story.

Wow! This is great! I had no problem downloading either. I do a lot UFO and Unknown mapping so I hope the images are going to be much more sharper than with the prior Google Earth was. Bing Mapping had 3D option but only worked on certain browsers.

Getting the following error at sign up currently...
Uncompleted License Key request

Error! Your sign up can not be completed due to We're sorry. We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.. You can try re-registering the product with an alternative email address. For other issues with Log In, please refer to our Login Help page Happy travels, Google Earth Team

I have the same problem with the registration process.

The server is probably a bit busy right now...

Can't sign up :(
as an architecture student, I could really use that.

" Uncompleted License Key request
Error! Your sign up can not be completed due to We're sorry. We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.. You can try re-registering the product with an alternative email address. For other issues with Log In, please refer to our Login Help page Happy travels, Google Earth Team "

Google had no compunctions about charging er... the earth for it before, why the sudden change of heart? They can carry on charging businesses $400 a year as far as I'm concerned, they don't think twice before overcharging themselves but it's good to give it to the individual for free.

What I saw when I went there:

Sign up is no longer required for Google Earth Pro. Click here to download Earth Pro, then sign in using your email address and the License Key GEPFREE.

So that would probably fix all your issues above.

Back