TechSpot

Google Earth Pro, once $399 per year, is now completely free

By Shawn Knight
Feb 2, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Google Earth is one of the easiest and best ways to explore the world around you without having to step foot outside. The standard version of Google Earth has been around for the better part of the past decade and...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,392   +107

Wow! This is great! I had no problem downloading either. I do a lot UFO and Unknown mapping so I hope the images are going to be much more sharper than with the prior Google Earth was. Bing Mapping had 3D option but only worked on certain browsers.

3. j05hh

j05hh TS Booster Posts: 140   +22

Getting the following error at sign up currently...
    Uncompleted License Key request

Error! Your sign up can not be completed due to We're sorry. We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.. You can try re-registering the product with an alternative email address. For other issues with Log In, please refer to our Login Help page Happy travels, Google Earth Team

4. Laf904

Laf904 TS Member Posts: 19

I have the same problem with the registration process.

The server is probably a bit busy right now...

5. spectrenad

spectrenad TS Rookie Posts: 97   +18

Can't sign up :(
    as an architecture student, I could really use that.

" Uncompleted License Key request
    Error! Your sign up can not be completed due to We're sorry. We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.. You can try re-registering the product with an alternative email address. For other issues with Log In, please refer to our Login Help page Happy travels, Google Earth Team "

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

Google had no compunctions about charging er... the earth for it before, why the sudden change of heart? They can carry on charging businesses $400 a year as far as I'm concerned, they don't think twice before overcharging themselves but it's good to give it to the individual for free.

7. So they changed the name to Frugal Earth?

8. SirGCal

SirGCal TS Maniac Posts: 365   +136

What I saw when I went there:

Sign up is no longer required for Google Earth Pro. Click here to download Earth Pro, then sign in using your email address and the License Key GEPFREE.

So that would probably fix all your issues above.

9. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,593   +335

Except for some added layers, its no different from the free version, but I still like it :)