Google fined $5m over Linux patent row

Archean

A judgement by a Texas jury against Google could have major implications for the search giant and the open source world said experts.

The internet titan was found guilty of infringing a patent related to the Linux kernel and fined $5m (£3.2m).

The software is used by Google for its server platforms and could also extend to its Android mobile platform.

The past 14 months have seen 41 patent infringement allegations levelled at Google's Android software.

Altough the writer has cited 'experts' warning that many more such lawsuits will follow; I think the Oracle vs Google case will be an important one, probably more than this judgement.

I've been watching this pretty closely, Google are almost experiencing the meaning of the word target practice. :haha:

Probably, incidently it was MS just a couple of years ago in this same situation ;)

Oh by the way please accept my heartiest condolences on untimely departure of your beloved umm Q8300 and its companions.

I think its almost a measure of success sometimes, though I am keeping an eye on this due to the Linux aspect of it.

Thanks mate, I have to say I'm seriously missing not having a PC right now.

I hear you, right now I am replying you from my notebook, but frankly I prefer my Desktop PC.

I guess you may be planning to build a system based on newer i7 generation CPU? ;)

I got an outstanding deal on a brand new Phenom II 1055T CPU, so my plan is either get a BD motherboard thats backward compatible as a long term investment, or just get a AMD3 board for now, and then BD later.

Considering my previous system (although long in the tooth by enthusiast standards), running a 6 core CPU 80% of the time in Linux, and the remaining 20% in W7 for gaming it'll be more than suitable for my needs.

Back