TechSpot

Google fined $5m over Linux patent row

By Archean
Apr 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A judgement by a Texas jury against Google could have major implications for the search giant and the open source world said experts.

    The internet titan was found guilty of infringing a patent related to the Linux kernel and fined $5m (£3.2m).

    The software is used by Google for its server platforms and could also extend to its Android mobile platform.


    The past 14 months have seen 41 patent infringement allegations levelled at Google's Android software.

    Altough the writer has cited 'experts' warning that many more such lawsuits will follow; I think the Oracle vs Google case will be an important one, probably more than this judgement.
  2. Leeky

    Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

    I've been watching this pretty closely, Google are almost experiencing the meaning of the word target practice. :haha:
  3. Archean

    Archean TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 6,041   +72

    Probably, incidently it was MS just a couple of years ago in this same situation ;)

    Oh by the way please accept my heartiest condolences on untimely departure of your beloved umm Q8300 and its companions.
  4. Leeky

    Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

    I think its almost a measure of success sometimes, though I am keeping an eye on this due to the Linux aspect of it.

    Thanks mate, I have to say I'm seriously missing not having a PC right now.
  5. Archean

    Archean TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 6,041   +72

    I hear you, right now I am replying you from my notebook, but frankly I prefer my Desktop PC.

    I guess you may be planning to build a system based on newer i7 generation CPU? ;)
  6. Leeky

    Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

    I got an outstanding deal on a brand new Phenom II 1055T CPU, so my plan is either get a BD motherboard thats backward compatible as a long term investment, or just get a AMD3 board for now, and then BD later.

    Considering my previous system (although long in the tooth by enthusiast standards), running a 6 core CPU 80% of the time in Linux, and the remaining 20% in W7 for gaming it'll be more than suitable for my needs.
  7. Archean

    Archean TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 6,041   +72

    Cool, Goodluck with your new build, and hopefully it will last for lot longer :)


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.