TechSpot

Google infuses Android, iOS Maps app with promoted search results

By Shawn Knight
Aug 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The latest version of Google Maps for Android and iOS now includes a dose of targeted advertising. Referred to by the search giant as “relevant ads,” they will appear at the bottom of the screen as an expandable banner after...

Read more

2. The best part about the new google navigation is you can uninstall it and revert back to the old version. I use the phone as a gps all day long for work and would have wiped my phone if I had to to go back to the old version.

3. My iphone is still on iOS 4 with the original google maps built in app.

Yet another reason not to update/upgrade my phone.

4. Adaway FTW

5. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

Idk what you guests have against the new google maps, but the new version's GPS kicks apple maps' ***. I can deal with ads by...wait for it...just not clicking on them! Whoa! That solution came from left field!
    The new version actually replaced my paid GPS app because the voice guidance is so well done.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Yeah they're easy to ignore. If they annoy you the solution seems really complicated to a lot of guests so let me see if I can simplify... Don't tap or click on them... especially when you're driving.

7. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

Ironically, it's illegal to use Google Maps while driving in the state of Michigan (and most other states for that matter).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.