TechSpot

Google issues patch to fix Android's ClientLogin data leaks

By Jos
May 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google has announced it's starting to roll out a server-side patch for a security vulnerability in 99% of Android phones that could have allowed someone to snoop on an unencrypted…

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Well I haven't been affected for a while. Nexus master race!

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

"an unencrypted Wi-Fi network and access calendar and contact data."
    Fortunately I don't use any unencrypted wi-fi.

4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

So this demonstrates they CAN release the Android updates much faster than what it currently is now, huh? Bravo Google, bravo.

5. BrianUMR

BrianUMR TS Rookie Posts: 44

Its not really an android update. It doesn't even really fix the problem. I would call it a workaround. It is good that they are able to do this since it takes updates a long time to come out. Whatever the bug was it had already been fixed in 2.3.4 and higher.

The reason I say it doesn't fix the problem and is a workout is becuase the bug is still there. Its just that the bug has become useless since it worked on an HTTP connection which google is no longer going to accept.

6. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 958   +23

I thought the carriers do updates. How can a fix be expidited so fast if it takes months for carriers to update?

7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Whether it is an actual update or not, the fact that they CAN release software onto the phones without the carriers' "certification", proves they've been intentionally segregating the Android platform.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.