Google kills Google News Archive

By Emil
May 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google has announced that it will stop updating its newspaper archiving project at news.google.com/newspapers. The company's ambitious effort to digitize the world's newspapers and make them available online is no…

Read the whole story
  2. Yep..I used it for searching for '60s car ads and car classifieds. Some great results. Thanks google!
  3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

They're still keeping the existing archive up right?
    I'm really hoping they are.
  4. r3claimer

r3claimer TechSpot Member Posts: 85

One of the main reasons they're "giving up" is because newspapers realized that people actually use this function. As a result, they;ve started charging Google for use of their papers, and Google loses money from the program. It's unfortunate because the original intent and effort put forth by Google appears to be such that they intended to simply increase historical archives, without really making much money from the deal. In essence, a benevolent move, something one doesn't see from large companies that often.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.