TechSpot

Google launches ARM-powered 11.6-inch Chromebook for $249

By Matthew
Oct 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google has announced a new Chromebook that's pitched as a low-cost, hassle-free computing solution for everyone from kids to elders. Priced at only $249 (£229 in the UK), Google says the Samsung XE303C12 represents the culmination of its Chromebook initiative,...

Read more

2. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

How much does a new battery cost, and how do long do they last, is the real question.

3. How successful are Chromebooks? Are they selling well?

4. Will it have viruses?

5. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,944   +576

It is a browser OS, for crisake, any tablet that exists will do a lot more because it would also have lots of applications on it.

PLUS: Fastest and best browser
    MINUS: No stand-alone applications.

The bottom line: One can get iPad 2 for the same money today, which will do a lot more than just browsing internet.

6. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

Not quite, an iPad 2 costs $399.00 a whole $150.00 more than the chrome book, however, I think the extra cost is probably worth spending, downside to iPads, no additional storage, no cabled data transfer. The USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on the chrome book are certainly enticing, however you can get far better laptops for only a few hundred more.

7. yowanvista

yowanvista TS Rookie Posts: 82

When it comes to performance it'll surely beat the Tegra 3 or A5X since it makes use of two A15 cores

8. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,944   +576

On eBay one can get iPad 2 for under $300 easily.

dawei1993 likes this.
  9. dawei1993

dawei1993 TS Rookie Posts: 37

I agree. I would just add a couple hundreds to get a laptop. Chromebooks just don't make sense to me..

10. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

But does it run Crysis? ;)

11. SCJake

SCJake TS Rookie Posts: 80

Depends... if it comes with the 1 year free of 4g access its now WAYYYYYYYY worth it...

12. SCJake

SCJake TS Rookie Posts: 80

Clarify: I say that because the old ones that were 4g capable also came with 1 year free 4g access (capped at 200MB a month if I remember correctly)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.