Google locks Facebook out of Gmail

By Emil
Nov 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Google has launched an attack against Facebook, saying it will no longer allow the social network to access Gmail social and professional contact information. To do so, the search giant recently tweaked the Terms of Service for its Google Contacts Data API.

Read the whole story
  2. compu4

compu4 Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

I do not think that google's attack will have much of an effect. People will simply import their contacts manually.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

It's probably a lot more of the second reason than the first.
  4. acc202121

acc202121 Newcomer, in training

I totally agree, in this scenario the consumer looses!!
    This isn't the way to solve a problem.
  5. Decimae

Decimae Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

Why exactly? The customer should pick who they want to give what information to, not google.
  6. Good move by Google. Facebook needs to let people access their contact information. People don't even realize how much they are giving away to Facebook, with nothing in return. Google should have done this years ago.
  7. @Decimae Even after the change, Google users get to choose who to give their information to. It just takes more work to do it. On the other hand, Facebook users don't get to choose at all who to give their information to, because Facebook doesn't even give an export option for contact information.

Facebook's recently released export feature insults our intelligence. It turns everything into web pages -- hardly usable as export data. And as the article here points out, it doesn't include contact info.

Please people, pay attention to what is happening here. The control that Facebook is gaining over the personal data of 500 million users is worse than anything Google has done.
  8. Decimae

Decimae Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

I'm not saying facebook is in the right; I'm just saying this is a questionable move from google as well. I don't get why google should decide that if users want to export their data, google should be able to read whatever they're sending it to. Of course, facebook's policy on this is not good at all, but this article is about google's move, not facebook's policy.
  9. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,195   +69

Like google doesn't know everything we do...
  10. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,020   +87

Now this is a really interesting piece of news. Two giants clashing and we don't know which one is more evil than the other. I don't have any important information of facebook about me so i don't really care about that, but it's going to be a war that i'm going to watch over.
  11. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 196

lol...what a whinners!! I just have 5 contacts in my Gmail acc. so, this is not much of a problem for me. Gmail acc was the last I got, and I only use it for business purposes, and facebook, since it's easier to manage all the incoming mail from this page. All my contacts' mails go to my hotmail acc. it's a good way to keep things tidy.
    About the topic itself... well, have nothing to say about it, this time. One question, why would someone need to export his/her contacts' information from facebook, considering that you just use facebook in your leisure time? (like I do...)

12. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

I would love to be able to add all of my facebook contacts to gmail or my outlook (which I can, but only if I connect to my facebook account through outlook, which I don't want to do).
  13. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 573   +31

It seems facebook is 'invading' everywhere, I'm glad Google is severing ties. I've always wondered about the security and privacy of information between the two.
  14. Razerblade

Razerblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 117

I think this is unfair on google. If facebook can have access to gmail then gmail should have access to facebook. I kind of understand the privacy fears but its only contact information which facebook takes from google anyway.
  15. VitaminC

VitaminC Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

Facebook is the new AOL. Facebook freinds are like those damn AOL cd's.
    Unfortunately AOL was around for a while before viable alternatives and better ways of doing everything popped up.
    /sigh....patiently waiting...
  16. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I guess most people on Facebook already have their friends added and even if they don't I'm guessing most people who use Facebook don't really email people anyway.
  17. Regenweald

Regenweald Newcomer, in training Posts: 143

Google: "We assimilate, no one assimilates us"
  18. razzrap

razzrap Newcomer, in training

well there's still yahoo mail =P
  19. limpangel

limpangel TechSpot Member Posts: 65

Facebook: "All your Friends are belong to us."
  20. These sites are all the same arrogance doen't come into it it's a load of dickheads running these things wit NO regard for peoples privacy in the least

At one time if you knew a persons phone number anmd typed it into a google search you were presented with everything that google had on that person bank details social records works details NOTHING was sacred and still isn't as far as I can see

I avoid google and all these type utilities like the plague

Another thing I don't allow is anything to be saved to my Doccuments and settings area nothing gets near my systems drive ever If I can avoid it

I don't even allow items I instal to go to program files I have my own folder for what I instal

I will not allow automatic updates from microsoft to run as I want to knowm what unnessessary junk and crap microsoft is trying to palm off on me
  21. Okkkkk, nothing weird and paranoid about this behavior then.

And yeah, Google are quite often dickheads, but in this instance they're being perfectly reasonable; if Facebook are using access from Google accounts for their find contacts features, then it's only fair they should return the favour to Google. I'm not sure those spouting nonsense like "why shoold google see everything i do on faecbook" quite understand the article.
  22. peteyhawkins

peteyhawkins Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

I think this is about time! Facebook gets away with far too much spam, their site is far too cluttered and if there was another more simple system out there without all the guff, even if it had ads I would use it. OR pay £10 a month for an ad free version.
  23. hassaan

hassaan Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

In substance this will not hurt Facebook but the end users. People will always find a way to circumvent these hurdles.
  24. Recipe7

Recipe7 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 142

Good luck finding anyone else to use it too, haha.
  25. FransB

FransB Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

Its good that gmail doesnt integrate all that crap :p like the new live messenger and stuff.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.