TechSpot

Google Maps app for iOS downloaded 10M times in the first two days

By Shawn Knight
Dec 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google Maps returned to iOS in the form of a third-party app less than a week ago and we've now learned that the search giant's app was downloaded more than 10 million times in just 48 hours. If numbers alone...

Read more

2. There has been an accounting error, the app was not meant to be free. If you have downloaded the app, please do the right thing and paypal me $4.99 at cody*****@gmail.com. Thank you. /s LOL

3. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Wow if Apple can learn to be humble, the world must really be ending soon! All joking aside, Its good to see not only that Apple can admit when they are wrong, but can also work with the supposed competition and get the customers what they want/need.
    Fingers crossed for Apple, Im hoping we are seeing the first of many positive changes in the Apple business model. Apple has been so gung ho about sueing everyone that they have become the Troll under the Bridge. You know...Apple could win back all those lost customers by simply showing that they arent a bunch of corporate asshats and thier customers DO matter to them.

4. Arguably, it's less about Apple being humble and probably has more to do with avoiding further consumer backlash if it got out that Apple blocked Google-maps.

khha4113 likes this.
  5. Both companies want to track what your doing and buying for their own evil marketing purposes so what does it all really matter?

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,157   +739

If Google maps has been part of iOS since the original iPhone, then why did it take so long before Google maps was available? Was there no version available because Google didn't have one available, or was the delay because of Apple?

7. I tried Google Maps and really like it however the turn by turn navigation sucks the life out of my battery and the iPhone turns into a hand warmer.

8. Tygerstrike

Mike
    Remeber Google has grown into the giant it has become. Im guessing originally that Google signed an exclusivity contract with Apple that allowed Apple to use the service for X amount of time before Google could use it.

9. khha4113

khha4113 TS Rookie

Actually, the old "Google Maps" was Apple's app, using Google's data. Apple licensed Google's data until mid 2013, but they chose not to use them any more in iOS 6.

10. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,476   +624

What are you talking about? How is Apple humble? The 'apology letter' isn't humble. Neither are there any positive changes within Apple, and they sure as heck didn't cooperate with Google to get this app in the store.

11. St1ckM4n

Also please excuse the 'tone' of this post - I'm not trying to seem angry at you. Either you or I have missed something, so need to get it right. :p

12. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

I use garmin USA when I want reliable gps. Google sucks and apple isn't that bad.

13. Divvet

Divvet TS Rookie Posts: 57   +19

Atleast Google will get you where you want to go.

14. Tygerstrike

Stickman
    I see you missed the part where I said "All joking aside"
    I see you also missed where I said "fingers crossed for Apple" I was pointing out how this was a positive move for Apple and hoped it was the first in a long line of positive changes.

15. If I was Google, I wouldn't have put it on the iPhone, I would have let Apple suffer. Google probably would have sold a lot more Android devices.

Pan Wah likes this.
  16. St1ckM4n

Thanks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.