Google Maps for iOS undergoing "finishing touches" sources claim

Rick

Staff

iDevice owners who were left disappointed with Apple's foray into mobile mapping may be pleased to hear that rumors of a Google Maps app for iOS are still in style. An anonymous source "with direct knowledge of the matter" has informed the Wall Street Journal that the big G is putting the "finishing touches" on its own native iOS entry. It remains unclear when Google will submit the app for Apple's review, however.

Apple's abrupt removal of its Google-based Maps in favor of its own in-house solution produced a great deal of can-kicking amongst mobile navigators. At the heart of this collective disappointment were the absence of Street View, seemingly incomplete data and Apple Maps' quirky behavior.

When iOS 6 hit shelves, YouTube and Apple's long-time, Google-powered Maps app went conspicuously missing. Purportedly, the reason Apple jettisoned Google from iOS was their inability to reach a deal in regards to the integration of Google's voice-based, turn-by-turn directions in iOS. Google introduced that technology on Android a couple of years ago and Apple wanted it -- but they couldn't see eye to eye on a mutually beneficial exchange.

After negotiations broke down, Apple -- in seemingly Apple fashion -- took matters into their own hands and began developing their own mapping solution. The iMaker snapped up several mapping companies and pushed out their labor's fruit almost an entire year before their contract with Google expired. The result? A seemingly hastily-done, occasionally cantankerous but mostly usable Maps app with a few unfortunate shortcomings -- problems that Apple CEO Tim Cook personally apologized for and said will be improved with future updates.

Permalink to story.

Really!? Quirky but usable? I drive home now through a country club and a lake. The highway I drive home on now runs through a field. I can't find my public transit information which is essential for each trip I take. I can't get walking directions. It's worthless to me. I have to use the cobbled together Google Maps bookmark on my iPhone front page, but it doesn't come close to offer what the iOS 5 program did, and you have to go through a browser to get there.

But why? Apple will probably just try and sue Google over something in their mapping.

Really!? Quirky but usable? I drive home now through a country club and a lake. The highway I drive home on now runs through a field. I can't find my public transit information which is essential for each trip I take. I can't get walking directions. It's worthless to me. I have to use the cobbled together Google Maps bookmark on my iPhone front page, but it doesn't come close to offer what the iOS 5 program did, and you have to go through a browser to get there.
Are you serious? I really hope not, because if you rely on a map program to get you home you are what is wrong with the world. #firstworldproblems completely. I can understand using maps to help you out in a new city, or on a business trip, but you are bitching about not being able to find a way home. ffs pull yourself together.

No, u don't get it... He's explaining why the map is worthless, compaired to other leading products.

Apple is a MARKETING company, thus their maps should sound like the best in the commercials, but are not functional how PEOPLE use them.. so instead of adding functionality, Apple will spnd the cash on marketing to tell everyone their maps are not that bad for their customers, thus making them feel good about themselves.

One use of Nokia maps illustrates how terrible Apple's ecosystem is.. & how badly Jobs raped his own company. He is dead, because aquiring a billion $ of personal wealth is a sin, instead of slower cycles that bring in true innovation and US manufacturing. Now.. all Apples is doing is TRYING... instead of doing.

Are you serious? I really hope not, because if you rely on a map program to get you home you are what is wrong with the world. #firstworldproblems completely. I can understand using maps to help you out in a new city, or on a business trip, but you are bitching about not being able to find a way home. ffs pull yourself together.

I don't drive very often and when I do I may have to do it for 3 hours or more from one city to another so I would require a navigation app to do so. Especially since I live in my own apartment near downtown but also have my nice house in a different city. Why are you resorting to calling names? I think that the person you are criticizing it just trying to explain how worthless apple maps are.

I wasn't resorting to calling names. I was pointing out the absurdity of the guest's comments where he says he'd be driving through a lake to get home. So yes, the article is correct with the 'quirky but usable' comment because if you actually accept the given directions when they are blatantly wrong there is an issue with the user. People should be able to figure it out, yes the routing is not spot on, but there are other options to use.

He is dead, because aquiring a billion $ of personal wealth is a sin.
Yea, he could have been one of those immortal poor people we have running around everywhere... seriously do you really believe what you are saying?

Steve Jobs had a moral obligation to humanity.. (as do we all). He used his wealth for more greed. His negative karma impacted his health & any Taoist (which steve claimed to be) will tell you such...

I agree Jobs early out, was reciprocating karma...

I wasn't resorting to calling names. I was pointing out the absurdity of the guest's comments where he says he'd be driving through a lake to get home. So yes, the article is correct with the 'quirky but usable' comment because if you actually accept the given directions when they are blatantly wrong there is an issue with the user. People should be able to figure it out, yes the routing is not spot on, but there are other options to use.

Maybe its usable if you know where you are going, but I do know one couple who tried to use Apple maps to get to my city, and it said the highway going into the city didn't exist. After a while of trying to figure out where a highway is that apparently didn't exist was at, they eventually resorted to switching to google maps in the browser to find it. The point is that the maps app doesn't do the one and only thing it should be doing - giving accurate directions.

But I think I speak for everybody when I say its about time Google Maps showed up again!

Finishing touches?

Ive had several iPhones with a Google maps app already.

Whats to finish?

Back