TechSpot

Google Maps gets real-time traffic, crowdsources Android GPS data

By Rick
Mar 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Although traffic data has been available on Google Maps for quite some time, the traffic information delivered by the popular mapping service was frequently stale or incorrect. In fact, estimated…

Read the whole story
  2. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 299

As long as it anonymous, why not?
  3. MrTomTom

MrTomTom Newcomer, in training Posts: 22

The Feds are gonna love this one !
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,050   +699

I think this is a great idea. I don't see the privacy concerns either... This is just a higher tech version of a traffic camera.
  5. What if someone is walking on a road as opposed to driving, that will end up providing incorrect data wont it?
  6. Depends on the algorithm.
  7. Why helping evil google and Android when we can all use Waze for free and for all platforms ?

My vote is for Waze!!!
  8. Uhh cause Waze sucks and it's more like playing a 5 year old's video game rather than a real driving aid. Make it more professional looking and actually useful (probably not that useful due to the lack of participation in Miami) and then I'll try it again.
  9. I just checked the settings and it looks like I can't turn on anonymous location sharing unless I also start sharing my location with my family and friends. I'd rather Google knew where I was than my wife! Too bad, I'd have been willing to help make traffic measurements better!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.