Google, NASA join forces to build quantum computing laboratory

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google nasa d-wave-powered quantum artificial intelligence lab quantum computer d-wave

Google and NASA are teaming up to construct a laboratory built around a 512 qubit quantum computer from D-Wave. The endeavor, known as the Quantum Artificial Intelligence Lab, will be used primarily for machine learning – a process that computers use to study and “learn” patters to better interpret and output data.

As the New York Times points out, such technology is extremely important for things like facial or voice recognition, biological behavior and the management of large, complex systems. Once installed, the USRA (Universities Space Research Association) will invite researchers from around the world to share time on the machine.

In a blog post to announce the partnership, Google director of engineering Hartmut Neven said if they want to create effective environmental policies, they need better models of what is happening to the climate. They believe quantum computing may help solve some of the most challenging computer science problems – tasks that classical computers simply aren’t well suited for.

Google already has a head start heading into the project. That’s because they have developed some quantum machine learning algorithms. One is said to produce very compact, efficient recognizers while another can handle highly polluted training data were a large number of examples are mislabeled – typical in the real world. What’s more, the team has learned that you get the best results by mixing quantum and classical computing.

The system is being installed at the Ames Research Center and is expected to be complete by the third quarter of this year.

Permalink to story.

"Google director of engineering Hartmut Neven said if they want to create effective environmental policies, they need better models of what is happening to the climate."

I don't know. Wouldn't discovering a more effective way to supply food across the globe so that many people don't starve to death be a more laudible goal?

"Google director of engineering Hartmut Neven said if they want to create effective environmental policies, they need better models of what is happening to the climate."

I don't know. Wouldn't discovering a more effective way to supply food across the globe so that many people don't starve to death be a more laudible goal?

If you want to grow food, you need to know your climate. Really hard growing tomatoes in the deserts (which are expanding and will continue to do so for a number of reasons (including the want for more food by overgrazing)).

NASA is probably wanting computers to analyze telescope photos, since quantum computers are great at visual recognition.

NASA is probably wanting computers to analyze telescope photos, since quantum computers are great at visual recognition.

The sooner they can find another habitable planet in those photo's I'm packing my bags. Hopefully the natives are friendly.

An AI with access to the Google database (pretty much the entire internet)....that ended well in the Terminator universe.

If you want to grow food, you need to know your climate. Really hard growing tomatoes in the deserts (which are expanding and will continue to do so for a number of reasons (including the want for more food by overgrazing)).

I believe thousands of years farming has given farmers the knowledge to know when to grow food, where to grow food, how to grow food and what food to grow. This seems a waste. Using the quantum computer to compute a more efficient and effective supply chain to deliver food to starving countries would make better sense.

And deserts expanding? Where are deserts expanding? This would be news to me, seeing as how I live in a desert.

I guess if you live in Las Vegas then you can always say you live in the desert but I'm with you about the efficient food chain. An earlier article stated that some clown paid $600,000 to drink coffee with someone. Man, how can anyone waste money like that, aware of the starving millions on the planet and still sleep at night. It's beyond me.

^ It would run crysis, and at the same time it won't. So, we are still far from the goal.

As I guessed, politicians needs quantum computer to understand climate change is something very bad.

An AI with access to the Google database (pretty much the entire internet)....that ended well in the Terminator universe.

skynetd.jpg

Why Google? They are new to the artificial intelligence business. Bring IBM into this.

This is a research facility. Google can do tons of research, related to software. I'm not sure Google is trying to invent quantum computing. They are using a D-Wave computer and my guess is they want to know what challenges and benefits they can gain by programming software for quantum computing. Companies do this type of research when technology is in it's infancy as to not be left behind. I'm sure other companies will join in too, it's just Google gets all sorts of PR cool points with stuff like this.

This is a research facility. Google can do tons of research, related to software. I'm not sure Google is trying to invent quantum computing. They are using a D-Wave computer and my guess is they want to know what challenges and benefits they can gain by programming software for quantum computing. Companies do this type of research when technology is in it's infancy as to not be left behind. I'm sure other companies will join in too, it's just Google gets all sorts of PR cool points with stuff like this.
True, good points.

I guess if you live in Las Vegas then you can always say you live in the desert but I'm with you about the efficient food chain. An earlier article stated that some clown paid $600,000 to drink coffee with someone. Man, how can anyone waste money like that, aware of the starving millions on the planet and still sleep at night. It's beyond me.

most of the 'starving countries' around the world are in bad situations because of self-induced political turmoil, civil war, and just all-around bad planning. maybe this new AI will help them learn how to remove their heads from their asses.
Also, about the guy spending that on the coffee... a little extravagant, sure, but wasn't it his money? I sure as hell don't want anybody telling me how to spend my hard-earned money, no matter how wasteful they think it is. if you [people in general] see a problem, you're free to spend your own money on it and move along.

512 Qubits? As I understand it a qubit or quantum bit is similar to a standard bit in that both are represented by a 0 or 1. The difference is that a qubit can be in both states at the same time. If this is true, what is the 512? Is it a 512 bit machine as opposed to a 32/64 bit processor? Hmmm,
thinking about it makes sense given the virtual addressable space it can access.

Back