Google never made an offer to acquire WhatsApp

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Google allegedly offered to acquire WhatsApp for $10 billion around the same time that Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg was courting the company. As it turns out, however, the report from Fortune was completely false.

Google senior vice president Sundar Pichai denied the allegations during an appearance at Mobile World Congress this week. Pichai praised the app’s achievements and said they had an exciting product, also pointing out that the company spoke with Google in the past about working more closely together.

The executive was quick to point out that Google never made an offer to acquire them and that press reports to the contrary are simply untrue.

Facebook recently announced the acquisition of WhatsApp for $16 billion ($19 billion including restricted stock units). That’s a lot of money and makes the company’s $1 billion acquisition of Instagram look like a bargain but according to Zuckerberg, the service is worth significantly more than what he paid for it. He ultimately hopes the app, which boasts 465 million users and is adding a million new users each day, will help deliver Internet access to billions more people around the globe.

WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum was also on hand at the Barcelona trade show, revealing the app would offer free voice calls to users within a few months. Such a move would no doubt increase its threat to mobile operators.

Permalink to story.

Guess my hunch was right all along. It doesn't sense for Google to seek to acquire WhatsApp when they already offer Hangouts which is way better than WhatsApp.

Guess my hunch was right all along. It doesn't sense for Google to seek to acquire WhatsApp when they already offer Hangouts which is way better than WhatsApp.
google denied it because it was out-witted, out-played, out-lasted...
...or the reporter from Fortune is now going to be fired for falsification (and will be rewarded handsomely by the previous owners of WhatsApp)

It must kill the whatsapp owners to still continue working on whatsapp even with $19bill in the bank that needs spending, I know I would be on amazon looking for stuff to buy instead of working if I was actually that rich xD

It's a simple business sting beneficial for both parties, Facebook had the money to spend and WhatsApp owners needed the money.

"He ultimately hopes the app, which boasts 465 million users and is adding a million new users each day, will help deliver Internet access to billions more people around the globe."
Can anyone explain the correlation between an App that runs on a smart phone with internet access to people without smartphones... Don't you NEED internet access to use WhatsApp in the first place? Is this supposed to be some kind of incentive for people who don't have internet, because they all of a sudden need WhatsApp now that Facebook owns it?

Back