Google now offering 15GB of free storage, shared across all services

By Shawn Knight
May 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google announced on Monday that storage capacity across Drive, Google+ and Gmail is climbing to 15GB. The changes, revealed just ahead of the company’s annual Google I/O developers conference, will begin to roll out over the coming weeks according to...

Read more
  2. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +34

All your data are belong to us.
    spydercanopus likes this.
  3. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 879   +170

Yay, more free space. I frequently use Google Drive so this is good news!
  4. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

This is all great and awesome on google's part. but consider the majority of the country is still running on snail internet speed with upload speed averaging 1mbps, it's really hard to take advantage of cloud space. I know that where I live, I only get one two choices, that's ATT DSL and Clear Wireless, both only offer up to 1mbps up. before Clear became available, ATT was THE ONLY choice in my area. if only google would bring gigabit to LA.
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,697   +873

As much as I would like to use cloud storage, I just never do. I store photos on Skydrive sometimes, but that is about it.
    roxxas2 likes this.
  6. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

Because Google rocks, that's why
  7. highlander84

highlander84 TechSpot Member Posts: 98   +20

I have 50+ GB with dropbox the only thing I use it for is photo syncing from my phone. I have Google Drive + and Gmail but never really considered using the space... I think once you commit to one provider you have to stay there, or spend hours transferring data across platforms..
  8. Dustyn

Dustyn Newcomer, in training Posts: 31

"The move now makes Google the leader in free storage capacity.".... Leader? As if! Watch as everyone else matches or exceeds this.
  9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

If Gmail and Drive are combining, then I'm about to have a 1TB gmail with Google Fiber.
  10. sapo joe

sapo joe TechSpot Member Posts: 80

I started using Google Drive since M$ decided to drop support for Windows XP X64 in Skydrive (I have an older machine that runs on it).

So, it's all good news for me... \o/
  11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,131   +171

Good move by Google.

If you have privacy concerns, you can use a 3rd party encryption solution to put encrypted content into your Google Drive.

12. Bring back free business emails for companies with 15 or less employees! They used to offer it free for 500+ employees!​

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.