TechSpot

Google Offers beta kicks off, sets its sights on Groupon

By Jos
Apr 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Unable to takeover Groupon after the latter rejected its $6 billion offer, Google has opted to start from scratch with its own daily deals-giving service. Google Offers is initially rolling out in Portland, New York, and San Francisco, where it will provide discounts of 50% off or more at various retailers, presumably using the same time-limited group buying formula as other deal sites where the discount is only activated once enough people buy into the offer.

Read the whole story

2. I've used Groupon and Restaurant.com. They seem to be the only ones that offer anything I'm interested in. I signed up for as many as I could find, and have since unsubscribed because they don't offer anything of value for me. I still subscribe to about 10 of these daily deals, and slowly but surely I'm unsubscribing. There's just too much junk offered to suit my tastes.

3. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 198   +28

Groupons are an excellent way to try out new products and services.

4. Businesses are interested in daily deal sites because they get to advertise for free, and everyone is making a clone of the Groupon/Livingsocial platform because they can make money, but is anyone really trying to create a real long-term online advertising solution? The only site that I see making an attempt is www.freefu.com, they are providing a free advertising platform, where businesses advertise their free deals (this is a loss leader to drive traffic, like a daily deal) except, the business doesn't share any of the revenue generated. Why don't more think out of the box and create real long term tools, instead of clones???

5. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

I may be wrong,but I read somewhere that google buzz is no more and still the above screenshot has the google buzz logo??

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.