TechSpot

Google patents adhesive layer for its self-driving cars that sticks pedestrians to the hood

By midian182
May 19, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. All evidence points to autonomous vehicles being safer than those with humans behind the wheel, but accidents still can happen. Google wants to lessen the chance of collisions between its self-driving cars and pedestrians proving fatal by using a unique solution: an adhesive substance that sticks people to the hood of the car in the event of a crash.

When a person is struck by a moving vehicle, it’s often the secondary impact – flying off the hood and hitting the roof, road, or into the path of another car – that causes the most severe damage. While Google’s method won’t reduce the force of the initial collision, it should stop pedestrians and cyclists from suffering extra harm.

Google was awarded the patent for this form of human flypaper two days ago following the original filing in 2014.

“Ideally, the adhesive coating on the front portion of the vehicle may be activated on contact and will be able to adhere to the pedestrian nearly instantaneously,” states the patent description.

“This instantaneous or nearly-instantaneous action may help to constrain the movement of the pedestrian, who may be carried on the front end of the vehicle until the driver of the vehicle (or the vehicle itself in the case of an autonomous vehicle) reacts to the incident and applies the brakes.”

To stop everyone and everything sticking to the hood of the car as it drives about, an “eggshell”-like coating is placed over the adhesive, meaning the stickiness is only activated when this layer shatters at the point of impact.

While the patent states this method is aimed at self-driving cars, it does note that it could be applied to any vehicle.

Many car manufacturers have come up with innovative ways of protecting people from collisions with vehicles. Citroen, Jaguar, and Nissan all use devices that slightly raise a car’s hood in the event of an accident to provide a cushion for impact; and other companies, such as Land Rover and Volvo, have developed outside airbags.

Like every patent, there are no guarantees that this technology will ever become a reality. Google rolled out the usual statement when asked to comment: “We hold patents on a variety of ideas. Some of those ideas later mature into real products and services, some don’t.”

Permalink to story.

2. deemon

deemon TS Addict Posts: 206   +47

OH how many many bugs and birds will be stuck to google's cars :D

learninmypc likes this.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,536   +2,333

I'm just waiting for someone to hit a pedestrian they don't like, get them stuck to the hood, and respond maniacally, "I've got you now!"

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

I checked the date, it's not 1 April so I'm wondering why this article was posted now. Just make the Goddamned vehicle out of foam instead.

5. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 736   +241

So how long till we see a car driving past with a pile of corpses stuck to the hood like some sort of b-movie horror?

Billybobjoey, wastedkill and Capaill like this.
  6. risc32

risc32 TS Booster Posts: 195   +87

Genius. This is comedy gold. This is also a mod that a game like gta would really benefit from.

hahahanoobs likes this.
  7. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

Sounds like a great way to capture people and transport them to wherever you want.

8. Capaill

Capaill TS Addict Posts: 289   +92

Aw, no more hit and runs. Now we have to drive somewhere quiet, peel his body off the hood/bonnet and dump him somewhere. Reminds me of a CSI episode.

9. Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +30

I'm not sure if that headline is supposed to be hilarious but it is. First thing I thought of was Carmageddon.

10. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +273

Thanks Google... I can't stop laughing. Good Friday joke!

11. lou707

lou707 TS Rookie

An update to the old elephant joke....................................

what do you get when you cross a pedestrian with a car?
    a predestrian that sticks to the hood of your car.

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,673   +1,871

You can literally patent, "the first thing that pops into your head", these days.

For example: “Ideally, the adhesive coating on the front portion of the vehicle may be activated on contact and will be able to adhere to the pedestrian nearly instantaneously,” states the patent description.

If I read correctly, they don't even have a clue as to what they're going to use as the glue, but yet they're being issued a patent?
    Nah, Mel Gibson will pinch it for the next "Mad Max" movie.

Besides, after Google gets the adhesive perfected, after a day or so, the bodies will fall off by themselves. Come to think of it, I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned in the statement of concept.
    Heretofore, I thought the elephant joke was, "how do you get an elephant on the ceiling", (ans.) "screw him up". How do you get an elephant off the ceiling, (ans.), "jerk him off". No? :confused:

On a more serious note, if you were to hit a pedestrian going at a high rate of speed, all you'd likely have stuck to the hood, would be his or her clothes. After which, I'm sure 911 would be inundated with reports of, "naked flying pedestrians".

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  13. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Yes, companies clearly need to edit themselves and these ideas that come to them.
    And what if the pedestrian was only wearing light clothing like a bathing suit? How much skin will rip off? Seriously, who would buy a vehicle if they knew it had this "feature?"

14. roberthi

roberthi TS Enthusiast Posts: 79   +11

3M's going to be even richer after this one.

15. roberthi

roberthi TS Enthusiast Posts: 79   +11

Next development will be teflon coating to solve the problem of getting all the blood and skin off the car.

16. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,673   +1,871

I had been thinking this was an adjunct to Google's self driving cars, enabling them to hunt humans, while "googleanalytics.com" tracked the car to keep score....:eek:
    It would have to be transparent Teflon, since the car would drive through the splatter. (Given the fact the car would ostensibly be moving forward through the impact zone). I suppose if they can't get, "transparent Teflon" worked out before this goes "live", (so to speak), you could always use "Rain-X" in a pinch...(y):cool:

17. N.Taylor

N.Taylor TS Rookie

Great place to put the kids on a long journey.