TechSpot

Google planning 'radical' change for Chrome user interface

By Jos
Feb 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google developers behind the popular Chrome browser are reportedly looking at ways to simplify even more its characteristically straightforward user interface. According to a report on ConceivablyTech, among the options on the table is the elimination of the URL bar, which itself would come from offering four different types of navigation: The classic navigation version, compact navigation, sidetab navigation as well as a touchscreen version.

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

DO WANT SIDETAB! It's the only reason I'm still on firefox.

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

Compact seems to be straight ripoff of IE9 interface, hence, once again Google's mantra of 'we can copy anything' comes into play. Whereas that sidebar tabs version, I've tried to use an extension for FF allow it, but never liked it. So in essence they are copying this feature as well. So whats new by the way?

4. yRaz

yRaz TS Booster Posts: 919   +96

They are adding support for things other browsers can already do. Is that copying? that's up to you, but I call it smart business practices. Also, one of the only reasons I don't like chrome is because of the UI. I might have to check this one out.

5. Mynsc

Mynsc TS Rookie

Would definitely love the Side Tab UI... wide screen heaven!

6. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

"but those who value screen real estate could appreciate the option."

Oh yeah, because that thin strip takes up oh so much space. /sarcasm

The classic and touch versions I agree with. The sidebar is cool I guess, but would be annoying to me. For the compact version, no thanks. Not saying I won't try it when it comes out, but from the way they describe it, no thanks.
    I am glad to see the use of multiple profiles. The thing I hate now is that when I sign out of my personal gmail account to log into my school/work gmail account, it logs me out of my youtube channel. And...well, to keep it from getting confusing, i'll stop there, lol. Let's just say i'm glad for the use of multiple profiles. Linking youtube account to gmail account was one of Google's dumbest ideas. But now I drift off topic.

So far from what i've seen and read, looks like i'll still be using both chrome and firefox. Each has its things I like better than the other.

7. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

They should just remove the download bar at the bottom i hate it and let us stack some more bookmarts on the bookmark bar, off from that.... ball to you.

8. TrekExpert

TrekExpert TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

I'm not so sure...
    Chrome is small enough for me as it is and i can only see the compact version slowing me down which is against the point of chrome in the first place.

9. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Not sold on the compact layout, you save like 15 vertical pixels and give up a lot of horizontal space, which isn't so good if you have a lot of tabs open.

The sidetab is interesting but personally I like having 2 windows side by side so it wouldn't work.

10. RoyalKnight

RoyalKnight TS Rookie

My Compact Mode tends to be just hitting F11, but... ::shrugs::

(Mainly, if I want space, I'm not gonna pay attention to the address bar, and if I want to see an address bar, I want to see the whole thing to know what domain, what folder, what page, and what parameters make up my URL. Not seeing the whole thing most of the time is counter productive to my own browsing habits.)

On the rare occasions I'm using a wide screen (I still use dual 1280 x 1024 LCDs in my own setup), I've often have Opera set my tabs to the side, almost always as thumbnails for easy navigation and to avoid having huge expanses of empty space on most webpages. Too, I would think this would work quite well for touch-enabled devices. Maybe Google can take a page out of Opera's book for that.

11. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

What download bar at the bottom? I have no download bar on my browser, and haven't seen any others who have it on theirs. It only comes up when you download something, and it goes away if you just click the "x".

12. SupaDupaFlyyy

SupaDupaFlyyy TS Rookie

I have a CR 48 and the only problem I have with it is with the UI. Google should make Fullscreen mode the default..reason being is because there is a dedicated search button and a dedicated fullscreen mode button. If the entire URL/Tab bar was "hidden" they should make you either hover the cursor to the top of the screen to see it when you need it, or you have plenty of other chances to see the bar with the 2 dedicated buttons I mentioned...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.