Google plans to provide worldwide internet coverage, via a network of floating balloons

By David Tom
Jun 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The mysterious Google X lab is at it again, and this time they are unleashing a top-secret internet service that goes by the code-name “Project Loon”. Google's plan is to eventually launch thousands of internet-beaming transmitters into the stratosphere, carried...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,017   +683

So Bill Gates thinks those in rural Africa need clean drinking water and vaccinations, while Google is working on broadband. Hopefully electricity and a tablet come from those balloons too, so they'll be able to use the internet.
  3. SexyMan

SexyMan Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

The article did not mention if it is free... is it?

For the specs (speed and latency), I know it is still in early testing but I am expecting around >50ms latency (basing from a performance of LTE or 12 miles apart wifi) and with a speed that can at least stream a YouTube.
  4. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,097   +223

5. "Internet" usage is more than facebook and reading techspot. There are several Organizations like WFP, Red Cross, etc wich have hundreds of sites on Africa and they have to spend Millions in Satellital internet access.

What about Telemedicine? Live information about weather, earthquakes, etc? Telephone system (IP)?

And.. Facebook (Google+)
  6. 415WhoCares

415WhoCares Newcomer, in training

Another Big Brother tactic, that they will sell off to the government.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,577   +487

In this economy we know that any bubble bursts sooner or later. Let's see for how long these ones will last...

It usually takes just one stupid bird...
    Wendig0 and learninmypc like this.
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,017   +683

Good point. and if Google is spending some time and money on solving a real problem I should probably stop ripping on them.
  9. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

The problem I see is that we can not predict the weather accurately enough to have these ballons out there. They couldnt be free floating. Given the weather patterns, a ballon launched in Canada could end up in South Africa. Where the idea is cost effective, the temptous nature of the weather slams the lid down on this idea. Now maybe BroadBand sattelite service made cheaper, now theres a idea that might work.
  10. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,097   +223

IF everybody would read the/watch the news, I see the word "experimental" in describing it.
    Right now, Google is experimenting with the idea. It is not a done deal.
  11. Outlaw88

Outlaw88 Newcomer, in training

I wonder how many will be shot down by paranoid leaders thinking someone is spying on them.

12. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,651   +51

I am sure children living in dump heaps going through trash to recycle for their next meal will greatly appreciate this. Then again maybe this can pave the way for a robotic army to feed the poor and eventually kill all humans :).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.