TechSpot

Google preparing up to five Android 5.0 Jelly Bean Nexus phones

By Shawn Knight
May 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Less than a month removed from selling their Galaxy Nexus handset contract-free through the Google Play Store, the search giant is preparing to partner with multiple OMEs in an effort...

Read the whole story

2. news I'd love to hear from google is the hassle-free availability of at least android 4.0 ics OS update for all android phones with android 2.3.5/2.3.6 gingerbread OS.

3. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

"The phone was essentially identical to what users could buy through Sprint or Verizon with the exception of storage."

I think you mean AT&T or T-Mobile, as it states on the linked page it is a GSM phone. I searched and searched for an EVDO or LTE variant to replace my Droid Bionic, but they're simply not selling one.

From the Google Play Device FAQ: "Phones purchased from devices on Google Play are not compatible with Verizon or Sprint."

4. The upgrade to your operating system unfortunately relies on your carrier, not google.

5. Google is trying to steer people away from the use of local phone storage, hence their omission of a memory card slot on the Nexus S and Nexus Galaxy. They expect everyone to use a data plan or wifi in the future to access their own files.

Unfortunately, carriers are squeezing the customers by limiting data plans to 2 gigs a month and punishing customers who use too much data. I love the idea of a Google phone that is not tied to a carrier in any way, but I also love my 60 gigs of MP3 music and I don't want to have to pay just to listen to it!

Sorry Google, your whole "cloud" mentality is a bit one-sided and consumer-unfriendly. Let the customer choose whether they want to use cloud or local storage. Don't decide for them--a classic business mistake.

6. scumbag

scumbag TS Rookie Posts: 25

I absolutely agree.

What also annoys me is the assumption that a decent signal can be had everywhere & all the time.

I think if they carry on trying to force their customers down this route then they're going to suffer for it.

7. Google doesnt support sdcard on there devices not because of the reasons you stated. To use sd card FAT32 windows file system is needed and it is patented by microsoft. Microsoft wouldnt allow to put it on android devices, unless you pay them a big check in form of royalties. hence is google has been avoiding supporting sdcards on it devices since xoom

8. @guest

It is google's fault that all of the phones aren't upgraded. They knew to get the market share they have now, google would have to allow carriers to make up all there own terms when it comes to upgrades. Google could have done something like windows phone and only allowed phones to be x number of versions behind on releases. They decided not to becuase it was a better selling point to carriers to allow them to force people to buy new phones to have the latest android.

Google either needs to fix this issue or come out with less major version.

9. What are you talking about; paying to listen? Cloud service is free, and you're talking about 2GB a month. Are you trying to say you listen to 60GB of music a month? If you say yes, you're full of horse ****.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.