Google pressing for fast adoption of royalty-free VP9 video codec

By Jesse
May 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Last week at I/O 2013, Google said it is nearly finished developing the new royalty-free VP9 video codec. The new specification is available now for testing, and will be officially finalized on June 17, reports CNET.

Read more
  2. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Sure bring on the VP9. Where are the tools to render to the codec?
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

How does June 24 make any sense. Chrome 26 has been out for like 3 weeks, which means June 24 will be the drop date for Chrome 29 to hit the beta channel, not the final stable release.
  4. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 368   +39

June 24 is Chrome 29 dev channel release, and also the date that VP9 will be finalized, but not the final stable release of Chrome 29.
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

You sure? I have been using Chrome 28 dev for about 3 weeks now.
  6. umbala

umbala Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

They're not actually releasing anything, but simply removing the beta flag on that date. This can easily be done with a small maintenance release on the existing stable release of Chrome.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,653   +507

It would be interesting to see how VP9 and HVEC compare in reality. One major concern about HVEC versus H.264 is that the former requires much more CPU power to decode, which inevitably translates into more battery life sucked out by mobile devices. How does VP9 compare in this department?
  8. stbecker

stbecker Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

Exciting news. I realize there is a difference in new/free vs interoperable/paid, but having competition should spice things up. Hopefully we avoid the VHS/BETA and HD-DVD/BR-D battles in hardware.

I can already run a couple high-res streams across my home internet connection, but this type of progress gives me hope for having 2K or even 4K eventually.
  9. entropyy

entropyy Newcomer, in training

June?? why so far lol
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,806   +1,431

That was 7 months ago.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.