Google publishes comprehensive guide to help iOS users make the switch to Android

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google ios android lollipop apple android guide lollipop

Are you a longtime iPhone user thinking of making the switch to Android but unsure where to start or how to go about it? Don’t worry, Google has you covered.

The search giant has published a guide that covers all of the basic steps one should take when moving to a new platform.

The first step in the comprehensive walkthrough is to transfer over photos which can easily be done through Google+. From there, you’ll want to install Google Play Music Manager to grab all of your music from iTunes (assuming you haven’t completely moved to streaming music yet).

google ios android lollipop apple android guide lollipop

Contacts are an important part of any smartphone so it’s no surprise that Google provides instructions on transferring them from iCloud or any other source. If everything is already stored through Gmail, there’s no need to take any further action.

Google also walks you through setting up a Gmail account and transferring data over from iCloud, Yahoo, Hotmail, Outlook or another e-mail service. Oh, and don’t forget to turn off iMessage before you remove your SIM.

That pretty much covers everything you’ll need to transfer over. Once on the new Android device, you’ll want to head over to the Google Play store to get up to speed on your app collection. Google boasts more than 1.3 million apps so you shouldn’t have any problem finding everything you had installed on iOS.

Permalink to story.

If Google offer an "alias" option in Gmail, I would gladly ditch iCloud Mail completely. Until then, I will still keep iCloud even if I do migrate everything to Android.

Back