Google publishes Glass tech specs ahead of launch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

On the heels of Google sending out messages to Explorers indicating Google Glass is now rolling off the assembly line, the search giant has published a list of technical specifications on the augmented reality visor. There aren’t any huge surprises here but it’s nice to finally get an idea of what sort of hardware the device will carry.

Starting with the fit, Google Glass will ship with adjustable nosepads and a durable frame that’s said to fit any face. The kit will include two extra nosepads in different sizes. Google says the high resolution display will be the equivalent of watching a 25-inch HDTV from eight feet away.

As rumored earlier this year, the headset will utilize a bone conduction transducer to deliver audio. Glass’ camera will be capable of snapping 5-megapixel photos and capturing video in 720p resolution. Connectivity options include 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. 16GB of flash storage lies inside although only 12GB is usable. It’s worth pointing out that Google Glass will sync with Google cloud storage.

We are told that the internal battery should be good for a full day of typical use. Certain features like Hangouts and video recording, however, are more battery intensive. A micro USB cable and charger are included and while they aren’t proprietary, Google recommends you use the included set to preserve the life of Glass.

google glass android google glass augmented reality visor tech specs

Finally, the headset is compatible with any Bluetooth-capable phone although the only way to enable GPS and SMS messaging through Glass is with the MyGlass companion app which requires Android 4.0.3 or newer.

Permalink to story.

Google is going to be royally sued, when people go near sighted and have eye problems...

I would assume they'd have to sign some kind of agreement before purchasing. Any word on price by the way?

I am interested to see how this play's out, I mean, people get peed off with others videoing them with an actual video recorder, Let alone everyone walking around potentially recording everything they see.

25inch screen from 8ft away? Really? So this is obsolete before the project even leaves alpha testing?

From the pictures and the above quote, it would seem that there is a small screen in the top corner of one of the lens. This is very old technology.

Where's the adjustable transparency HUD that covers entire lens? I know this exists, car makes have had it for years.

If I had the ability to add this to my prescription Oakleys, I'd rock it in a heartbeat. I really don't understand all the hate directed at Glass.

If I had the ability to add this to my prescription Oakleys, I'd rock it in a heartbeat. I really don't understand all the hate directed at Glass.

Those who hate it are just jealous that they can't get before others. By 2015 I'm pretty sure that they will have a new version that will be about 500$. For now it's just for those who have the dough and will to test it (technically it is in beta - at least it's how I see it).

25inch screen from 8ft away? Really? So this is obsolete before the project even leaves alpha testing?

Where's the adjustable transparency HUD that covers entire lens? I know this exists, car makes have had it for years.

It's an issue of perspective and image quality. Go ahead and stick your computer monitor 3/4 of an inch away from your eye and see how far your get. Transparent overlays are cool but not useful for head mounted displays.

It's an issue of perspective and image quality. Go ahead and stick your computer monitor 3/4 of an inch away from your eye and see how far your get. Transparent overlays are cool but not useful for head mounted displays.
If you put your monitor 8 feet away, this is what it'll look like. Tell me how that's sufficient to perform any text-based activities.

Back