Google+ pulls in 20 million users in three weeks

Trillionsin

The social network scene became even more diversified a couple of weeks ago when Google launched their new Google+ service on an invite-only basis. Just three weeks later, digital marketing monitor comScore Inc. estimates that Google+ had more than 20 million unique visitors since it debuted on June 28.

Google has taken what they deem as the best qualities from multiple networking communities and rolled them into a single package. Aspects of blogging, Twitter, newsletters and e-mail are some of the key features found in Google+.

Some have criticized the program for being too difficult to learn, while others see the forward thinking layout as a breath of fresh air and an escape from the general Facebook population.

Google+ still has a long way to go in order to catch up with social networking giant Facebook, which has more than 750 million active users according to their own statistics. But if history tells us anything, Facebook isn’t entirely safe at the top of the mountain. 

MySpace became the largest social networking website in 2006 and remained so until mid 2008 when it was dethroned by Facebook. The site’s storied fall from grace is proof that trends can shift rapidly in the social networking realm.

Google+ still remains an invite-only program which would seemingly hinder growth, but it appears that the limited access is only helping to fuel the fire and attract new users.

Have you signed up for Google+ yet and if so, what are your thoughts on how it compares with Facebook and Twitter?

Permalink to story.

Google put a check to Apple with Android.
Now it is going to be repeated with Google+.

dedparrot said:

i'm more worried that no one is putting a 'check' to Google.

That's not really true. The problem, if there is one, is that not enough people are putting a check on Google.

Google's search, e-mail services and office webapps services are all heavily competed against by Microsoft. A big part of why Google remains strong (beside the fact that they do innovate and produce quality services) is that they have built a brand for themselves that most people are comfortable using and do trust.

dedparrot said:
Guest said:
Google put a check to Apple with Android.
Now it is going to be repeated with Google+.

i'm more worried that no one is putting a 'check' to Google.

I see what you're saying but it's not as you say I don't think. For one, when you're as big as Google and others are, you are ALWAYS in risk of getting "checked" by other companies and governments. For two, Google has plenty of competition, mainly Facebook in this sense.

Google+ is the first 'social network' I've used since 2005'ish. So far, it's about as useless to me as the first one. I've also found the navigation a bit unfriendly; odd, because I find Gmail quite intuitive.

Maybe I'm just a big ol' Luddite. :p

it's nicer than i expected but just like facebook, it's not for me. i don't really use social networks. maybe i'll change my mind in the future, who knows?

I've used it for a while and still don't really get it, maybe it's just because of the lack of friends who have signed up. But it just seems like it doesn't do much...

"eside the fact that they do innovate and produce quality services... is that they have built a brand for themselves that most people are comfortable using and do trust. "

I'm not even going to try and open THAT can of worms :)

to those who need GOOGLE+ invite, jsut post your email add, i will invite ALL of you!!!!

Google+ 20Million Users, 3 Weeks

Facebook 20 Million Users, 4 years.

How about that for statistics.

When facebook was coming up, people didnt know what social network is, just cos google+ grown so quicky doesnt mean its gonna do so good after a while.

I checked it out..It's ok...Just a facebook clone....few friends on there...I will stick with facebook as I think majority of the 100's of Millions will also....

Google+ is different. It's part facebook, part twitter.

The big difference is you make different circles of contacts (people can be in more then one circle) and you don't have to get there permission to do so. When you want to share a discussion, picture, etc. You choose which circles can see your content. If someone puts you in there circle and you don't want there content showing up, you can hide or block them.

Also the "+" service is spread across the google services vs facebook being the main "portal" for everything,

where is Diaspora. Is it not supposed to be the fb killer?

why would a guest want ur email to invite you?

All in all it's just a bulletin board system with a fancy interface. How many times can they reinvent the wheel.

Back