Google puts the D-Wave 2 quantum computer to the test

By Shawn Knight
Jan 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Last year it was revealed that Google and NASA were teaming up to build a quantum computing laboratory based on a system from D-Wave. The 512 qubit D-Wave 2 quantum computer has since been installed and Google was kind enough...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

aka. find a benchmark this computer is good at.
    mosu likes this.
  3. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 417   +44

I wonder what kinda problems we're talking about?
  4. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Booster Posts: 126   +14

I wonder if it will be good for gaming...
  5. Most likely cracking encrypted messages, this is being sponsored by the NSA after all.
  6. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Booster Posts: 131   +65

NASA (Space) Not NSA (Spying). Learn to read.
  7. Isn't NASA sponsored by NSA?
  8. Armanian

Armanian TS Rookie Posts: 37   +7

If you search NSA and Quantum Computing, they have been researching it and developing it themselves. So to draw a link between NSA and D-Wave is still releavant.
  9. MadnessRed

MadnessRed TS Rookie Posts: 19

I thought the idea behind quantum computers was not that they were faster per say but that quantum algorithms could sometimes have a faster time complexity - eg something that is solvable in exponential time classically could also be in quantum-polynomial time?
  10. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Enthusiast Posts: 98   +22

But the all important question, what frame rates will it get on Crysis?
    Nima304 likes this.
  11. Very interesting article, but I think there should be a brief explanation of the problems that the random instances are of, and the solvers (as I didn't get what these are, and I'm not sure that general purpose computing problems is the answer)
  12. A quantum computer works with switches that not only exist in ON or OFF states but also in states that are simultaneously ‘ON and OFF’. The assumption that a quantum switch can be ‘ON and OFF’ at the same time is based on an INCORRECT concept of Linear Polarization.