TechSpot

Google quietly removes stipulation requiring new Gmail users to have a Google+ account

By Shawn Knight
Sep 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google's social networking ambitions appear to be falling by the wayside. It has come to light that Google is no longer requiring people to have a Google+ account when signing up for a new Gmail account, a stipulation that's been...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

It sounds too good to be true. They must have something else cooked into gmail now, something stealthier and nastier... :)

3. SirGCal

SirGCal TS Maniac Posts: 365   +136

I'd still take Google+ over Facebook every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Simply put, I left Facebook a few years back when they relaxed their privacy policy (yup, I read those when they change also... Unlike many it seems.) Removed my information and pictures and opted out of their policys. Google isn't much better but still has some of the more important restrictions in place. They all farm data, that's how they make their money. But it's what they can do with that data and my pictures that is important.

4. abysal

abysal TS Booster Posts: 107   +37

My work filters social networking. However google+ is not filtered as I just found out. Ha!

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

Google+ is pretty pathetic but I have to agree with you, anything is better than FB.

6. Nothing is better than g+ or fb.