TechSpot

Google redirect malware

By blackknightdw
Jan 13, 2009
  1. Hi,
    I have a very annoying issue, I got some mailware or worm that redirect all google (all search engine links in fact) links to somewhere else and I get pop-ups on everywebsite I visit. I have found some guides how to remove mailwares but I found them very confusing, so I wanna ask here if anybody can help me fix it.

Thanks

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You might try searching on this forum for 8 step malware removal or something similar. There is very good advice there that usually works.

3. KrisMcNic2!

KrisMcNic2! TS Rookie Posts: 16

I know the feeling, been there, done that. There are a lot of bad nasties out there but to date the 8 STEPS has cured them all.

Just go to search & type in "8 Step" & it will get to where you want to be. Follow the instructions & Post the Logs. Somebody friendly will help you out.

When your Clean I recommend that you run CHKDSK & then DEFRAG. Hope this helps :)

4. blackknightdw

blackknightdw TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have used MalwareBytes to scan my computer, found about 28 infected files, I have deleted them and Google works fine. Thx everybody:eek:)

5. KrisMcNic2!

KrisMcNic2! TS Rookie Posts: 16

Did you run SAS (SuperAnti Spyware)??

If you didn't, it is like locking the Barn Door after the horses have escaped. :blackeye: My experience is that more often than not SAS will find something that MBAM did not & vice versa. The whole idea of the 8 STEPS is to root out all the nasties & did you run MBAM at least twice?? I have found that sometimes it takes at least 3 passes before you come up clean. Keep running MBAM until it finds nothing new, that goes for CC & SAS as well.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.