Google redirect virus

By imamoron
Jan 14, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a virus/malware that is redirecting me to yawarez.net and a couple other advertising websites. I read about several possible fixes and used pretty much every recommended software to try and clean the computer, yet I am still being redirected to bogus websites while searching with yahoo, google and msn.

I also saw some advice about deleting the wdmaud.sys file which worked for some people but I don't have this rogue file on my system. Any ideas from others who are experiencing the same trouble? This seems to be a newer version of the search engine redirection virus and comes up with limited results when I search, none of which have solved the problem.

In the past hour, Mcafee has warned me about an potentially unwanted program on my system, which I don't recognize at all. Is it possible that this program is responsible? When I try and access the area that it is located I get a message saying that "Access is Denied." The name of the program is Tool-NirCmd and it is located at c:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP86\A0013534.com

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. imamoron

imamoron Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Just an update- I think that I was able to get rid of the virus/trojan by using AVG and then setting up a clean restore point. I found a thread on bleepingcomputer.com by VirusHeatsEvil describing how this worked. Good luck!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.