Google releases Google+ app for iPhone

Emil

Google has released the official Google+ app for the Apple iPhone. You can download it now directly from the Apple App Store.

Make sure that the version you grab is 1.0.1.1809 or later. Google mistakenly released a previous test version of the app which didn't have the stability and fixes that the latest version has. To check the version number, click on the gear icon on the top left of your app's homescreen and look right above the Help button.

Also, it's important to note that this app is just for the iPhone, not iOS in general. Google says that iOS5 is unsupported at this point and that iPad device support is coming soon. The search giant did not give details on timing for either though.

Google's official description of the app is as follows:

Google+ for mobile makes sharing the right things with the right people a lot simpler. Huddle lets you send super-fast messages to the people you care about most. And no matter where you are, the stream lets you stay in the loop about what your friends are sharing and where they’re checking in.

Google released Google+ last month in a clear attempt to compete in the social space with Facebook and Twitter. There are five basic components to Google+: Circles (for managing friends), Sparks (subscribe to specific interests for a constantly updated feed), Hangouts (video conversations with up to 10 friends at once), Instant Uploads (automatically uploads photos snapped with your mobile device), and Huddle (group chatting among Google+ peers).

Google+ has had an Android app from day one, but the iPhone version had to be approved by Apple first. Now that it has, Google+ is available on the two biggest mobile operating systems in the US. I wonder how long it will take for Google to release a Google+ for the rest of the mobile platforms.

Permalink to story.

I don't understand why they haven't put Huddle on the web page as well. All they have is the regular chat that you get in gmail.

Anyone has an extra I invite laying around somewhere? I've been trying to test the service, but so far no luck.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
I have a facebook account mainly to see what my kids and grandkids are up to.
My two grandkids (16 and 14), aren't using facebook hardly at all.
They think it is passe now. They are still consumed by texting.

i would love a Google invite, someone please help.. jshope00@gmail.com

Both of you who posted e-mails have been invited to Google+, though I believe they started throttling joins again so get in while you can!

Looking for an invite....if anyone has an extra out there. melissa.caiazzo@gmail.com

An invite would be highly appreciated also, thanks in advanaced peeps ;).

tonythedude310@gmail.com

hey can anyone send one to me? I would like to get on google + my email is twmoore23@gmail.com
thanks

If anyone has an extra invite please send it to: gadgetdude2010@gmail.com

I would really like to test this out. Thank you in advance!

Hi, looking for an invite for Google+, please send to edwin.frei@gmail.com

Hi, want to get into the Google + as soon as possible. Shut down my facebook account ages ago due to privacy concerns. Can someone invite me please. Email is darren.moffat@live.com.au

Back