Google reportedly working on Android-based tablet

By Jos
Apr 13, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. According to a report in the New York Times, Google is currently exploring the idea of creating its own version of a slate computer to rival Apple's iPad. Apparently the information was let slip by CEO Eric Schmidt himself at a recent party in Los Angeles, who also described the gadget as "an e-reader that would function like a computer." Few other details have emerged but rumors say Google is already working with publishers to put books and magazines on the forthcoming device.

Read the whole story
  2. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 795   +8

Google must have half a million people working for them. I mean, how many projects can they have going on at once and still produce good results? Their still working on Buzz, Wave, Chrome OS, their new fiber line, and now this...along with keeping up with updates on Docs and the browser and their other apps.

I'm curious as to how different the Android will be compared to Chrome OS, but I do agree with putting Android on a tablet instead of COS seeing as how Android has had time on the market already (although i've heard mixed reviews about Android). If they want to compete with Apple, putting an OS on the tablet that they already know works is the better idea.

I'm not really a big fan of cloud computing since i'm not always near a wireless point but need to get work done, and people are always having connection issues on their computers/laptops, but to each his own, I guess.
  3. fwilliams

fwilliams Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

I just do not want a tablet. I want a keyboard and I do not want to hold it up all the time so I can see the screen. A small device, something like Skylight with Android on it would be awesome.
  4. fwilliams

fwilliams Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

I just do not want a tablet. I want a keyboard and I do not want to hold it up all the time so I can see the screen. A small device, something like Skylight with Android on it would be awesome.
  5. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,259   +216

I like the idea of a slate that has an easy method to prop it up in a free-standing mode, and a bluetooth keyboard (and maybe mouse). Best of both worlds, easy to handle by itself, can whip out the extra hardware for full-on typing and such.

There's plenty of small folding bluetooth keyboards out there for PDAs, although they are a bit pricey when bought separately... Make one of those cheaper and add it as an option to a slate, and you've got a nice little package.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.