Google reportedly working on Android-based tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

According to a report in the New York Times, Google is currently exploring the idea of creating its own version of a slate computer to rival Apple's iPad. Apparently the information was let slip by CEO Eric Schmidt himself at a recent party in Los Angeles, who also described the gadget as "an e-reader that would function like a computer." Few other details have emerged but rumors say Google is already working with publishers to put books and magazines on the forthcoming device.

The choice of Android as the operating system is interesting considering Google has publicly committed to the Chrome OS as the platform of choice for netbooks. That said, Android is already well-developed and offers the kind of functionality that will allow the Google tablet to compete with the features found in the Apple iPad. We already a few others -- including Dell and MSI -- will also rely on Google's increasingly popular mobile platform for their own devices.

The move into the tablet space is reminiscent of the company's recent step into mobile phone design with the Nexus One. It's unclear what features the tablet would include or who would manufacture it, but we know Google is one of the few companies that could seriously rival Apple in this segment, with the host of cloud-based services it already offers and more relaxed approach to app development and approval.

Permalink to story.

Google must have half a million people working for them. I mean, how many projects can they have going on at once and still produce good results? Their still working on Buzz, Wave, Chrome OS, their new fiber line, and now this...along with keeping up with updates on Docs and the browser and their other apps.

I'm curious as to how different the Android will be compared to Chrome OS, but I do agree with putting Android on a tablet instead of COS seeing as how Android has had time on the market already (although i've heard mixed reviews about Android). If they want to compete with Apple, putting an OS on the tablet that they already know works is the better idea.

I'm not really a big fan of cloud computing since i'm not always near a wireless point but need to get work done, and people are always having connection issues on their computers/laptops, but to each his own, I guess.

I just do not want a tablet. I want a keyboard and I do not want to hold it up all the time so I can see the screen. A small device, something like Skylight with Android on it would be awesome.

I just do not want a tablet. I want a keyboard and I do not want to hold it up all the time so I can see the screen. A small device, something like Skylight with Android on it would be awesome.

I like the idea of a slate that has an easy method to prop it up in a free-standing mode, and a bluetooth keyboard (and maybe mouse). Best of both worlds, easy to handle by itself, can whip out the extra hardware for full-on typing and such.

There's plenty of small folding bluetooth keyboards out there for PDAs, although they are a bit pricey when bought separately... Make one of those cheaper and add it as an option to a slate, and you've got a nice little package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back