Google reveals Android 2.0 features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Google's next major update to its mobile platform, Android 2.0, was officially unveiled today. Codenamed Eclair, many new features appear to have been added in this release, including improved synchronization -- with support for Microsoft Exchange accounts and contacts -- and a new Quick Contact feature that enables users to email, text or call a contact by tapping on their photo.

The touch screen keyboard has been improved as well and now uses multi-touch to better recognize quick typing. Android's web browser has similarly been upgraded with multi-touch and double-tap zoom support, a refreshed user interface with an actionable address bar, bookmarks sorted by thumbnail, and support for HTML5. Other notable improvements include a new Bluetooth API and more in-depth camera controls.

Motorola's new Droid handset, which is due to be released in the United States later this month, is rumored to be the first device to run the new Android 2.0 Eclair software. Check out a video highlighting some of the new features after the jump.

Permalink to story.

This actually looks like a genuine upgrade! I wonder if all existing Android powered phones can upgrade to it?

I am actually genuinely excited about the new Moto Droid Phone. I’ve been waiting for a tangible reason to ditch my six thousand rollover minutes and head over to Verizon, and this very well may be it.

I too am looking forward to Droid... Our controller here at the company was threatening to ditch Verizon (and our Blackberries) to move to AT&T and get us all iPhones... Until a few of us here in the office, and the AT&T representative, told her iPhones would be a very bad move for strictly business phones. So, now here we are still on Verizon, and all of our contracts are up and ready for the "new every 2" feature to get us new phones. Droid couldn't be coming at a better time. The only down side is that it's not 3G capable, at least the first models Motorola is releasing.

That said, just wondering how much better an Android phone would be as opposed to an iPhone for business. Guess I'll have to do some digging now :)

Well, at least I have this to look for when Verizon finally releases android on their phones? It's certainly taken them long enough.

Vitaminc - definitely dude the Droid phone is going to be SICK. Hopefully they officially announce it soon, it was supposed to be today or the 30th if I remember correctly. The fact that you don't have to pay to make apps for the phone and pretty much every phone using the OS (multiple phones will have the OS and thus be able to use apps unlike apples singular iPhone), is definitely a huge reason to get the phone using this better version of Google's Android.

I just started a contract so am not looking to change just yet, but android does look promising. By the time my contract runs out there should be plenty of android phones and laptops for that matter and hopefully android has even more improvements. When I first looked for a new phone, I got the feeling from comments I read, that android still needed a few more releases to become a polished product. It looks like this release is a step in the right direction.

I've played with Android and I quickly grow fond of it. The new features make it even cooler.

Here's the thing guys - I just don't trust Motorola.

I had a RAZR, back in the day. First gen RAZR was a piece of CRAP. T-Mobile was kind enough to replace my RAZR about four times. It collected dust under the screen, the buttons imprinted onto the screen itself, the flip hinge got ridiculously loose, it was WIDE, the software did not work well...the thing was just unforgiveably, relentlessly, and fundamentally flawed.

I have Verizon, and I've never been disappointed with its service or with my reliable little Samsung Alias (first gen). However, my contract is nearing its expiration and I'm most likely switching to AT&T, three guesses why.

Unless I can REALLY be convinced that Droid is better than the other Motorola encounters I've had, I won't be bothering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back